Content library mix-up

SteveD

Hi,

I have a (fairly large) project originally saved on a thumb drive and two installations of Inventor 2010 installed on my laptop and desktop. Most of the work in the project was initiated on the desktop, but when I open the project files on the laptop, none of the hardware from the content library is found. I always get the "resolve links" dialog box. Both computers have the identical file paths and so on. Why can't I see my hardware on the laptop?:cry:

Has to be something screwed up with your directory structure. If the paths in the project files are the same, then the files must not be in the same place between the two machines.

It's worth noting that, if you just did the default installation options in Windows 7 (maybe Vista too, haven't checked), then all your libraries are actually installed in Public Documents. The default settings for the My Documents folder incorporates the Public Documents folder in that view, so you won't realize that your stuff is in c:\users\Public instead of c:\users\yourname unless you actually look and see.

Thats because when you use Content Center data it wasn't going to your Thumb Drive. Your content center data was most likely going to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Inventor\Content Center Files\R2012\ on your desktop. Your laptop doesnt have these files and neither does your flash drive so you get the result is missing hardware.

IMOP, using a Thumb drive for Inventor work is about the worst thing you could do. Consider a dropbox or sync account instead if you are constantly going between the two. Or use a Pack and Go when you need to archive the project and move it to another machine or storage medium.