dymanic input problem, probably simple but I can't fix it

Quik&Easy

I feel pretty dumb for asking this but its driving me crazy. I've been practicing with this ACAD LT 2011 quite a bit lately and am feeling more comfortable with it. I like the dynamic input option, it feels like what I've been doing with a different CAD program for the last 10+ years. I'm very comfortable with degree of angle entry based on the compass, 0 is easterly, 90 is northerly, 270 southerly, etc.

In the attached drawing, attempting to draw a simple rectangle with degree input, (and yes, I know I can draw the rectangle with the rectangle command), the lines are not following the degrees entered. Starting from the figure on the left, I entered using dynamic input, not breaking the command, just one line after the other; 10 units at 90, ok, 10 units at 180, ok, 10 units at 270 and the line turned north rather than south. Next figure I entered 10,0, ok, 10,90, ok, 10,180, ok, 10, 270 and the line turned north again rather than south. Single line was entered at 10-270 and it went north again. 3rd figure was a repeat of the 2nd figure. The rectangle on the right was entered starting at the top right corner; 10-270,ok, 10-180, ok, 10-90, ok, 10-0, ok. That worked as it should.

My pointer input setting are at polar, relative. Changing them had no positive effect. My drafting settings, polar tracking tab has the object snap tracking settings set to track using all polar angles and relative to last segment.

I'm sure its something simple that is set incorrectly.... but I've been messing with it for quite a while and can't find what switch is in the wrong position.

dynamic input test.dwg

You don't even have to put in the degrees. Just move your mouse in the direction you want to go and type in the distance.

I do my direct distance entry this way...

@10

@10

@10

@10

Remark, you're doing it all on the command line rather than the dynamic input? Or putting it all in the first box of the dynamic input? I thought the use of the dynamic input was to eliminate all the shifting and typing of symbols other than the distance and direction? Physically, I am not adept at shifting and keystrokes but am used to tabbing and entering numerals for distance and angles.

Reading this board and the more experienced users such as yourself that have used AC for years are used to doing things a certain way. One of the attractions is that the dynamic input seemed to be very much along the lines of what I'm used to doing, but if the lines don't turn the correct dimension all the time I apparently don't understand how its designed to work.

Edit to add: As a novice, I have the utmost admiration for the knowledge that you experts as a group share with us beginners, as well as the recognizing the years of experience you all have working with every new release of the program and learning its latest quirks. Personally, I don't believe I'll ever have need of all the options that AC offers and you all seem to use without thinking twice about.

Edited by Quik&Easy
forgot something

I should add that it isn't just at the cardinal points that its moving a different direction than expected. I used the rectangles for ease of explanation but even the odd angles don't always travel in the expected direction.

Ok, tell me if I'm right. After drawing a line, say 10 at 0 degrees, I have to slightly move my cursor and be sure that its on the positive Y axis side of the X axis line to its reading positive degrees counter-clockwise from the zero line. Then my next move that is typed at 10 at 270 degrees will travel south. If I position my cursor below the X axis line, then all the angles are reversed; with my cursor below the X axis, typing 10 at 270 degrees will travel north.

It seems as though this works, is that the way its intended to work? I didn't realize that moving the cursor was a requirement to using the dynamic input, it seems.

Hi Quik

If you want to draw lines at certain angles with the dyn input. Just draw a line hit tab, type the angle hit tab then type the distance of the line and enter.

That's how I always do it. I know I'm gonna probably get told off for doing it that way. But it's what I'm used to .

Hope this helps a bit.

Dodge in Oz and very hot.

Ok, tell me if I'm right. After drawing a line, say 10 at 0 degrees, I have to slightly move my cursor and be sure that its on the positive Y axis side of the X axis line to its reading positive degrees counter-clockwise from the zero line. Then my next move that is typed at 10 at 270 degrees will travel south. If I position my cursor below the X axis line, then all the angles are reversed; with my cursor below the X axis, typing 10 at 270 degrees will travel north.

It seems as though this works, is that the way its intended to work? I didn't realize that moving the cursor was a requirement to using the dynamic input, it seems.

You are correct, at least for my quick testing just now and as far as I can see, that is how it's suppose to work. I can't say if you can change it though.

When you have Dynamic Input active you can see what angle you are asked to input, you get a dotted dimensioning of the angle that you are about to input. I assume that its made this way to help designers not have to remember to input a minus-sign ( - ) if they want a negative angle, just move the mouse downwards and input the angle. And I guess that is the dynamic part of it..

That said, I don't use dynamic input myself, I have Polar tracking on at all times and just enter in the distances.

You will need to move the crosshairs away from the area a little ways after selecting the start point, then all will work as desired. If you select the point to start the first line and never move the crosshair, it will act wierd as described. Doesn't seem to matter where or how far you move the crosshair, they just need to be moved away from start point.