Offset a profile

Excalibur Shane

I have a Vertical profile made up of Lines, Rads, Arcs. How do I offset this profile in one command rather choosing each element. I am able to offset thease commands independatly but not has one item. I have tried converting to a polyline but this does not work. Novice at work.

Thank you for your help. I have done what you have suggested and it works. Idon't understand what the fuzz factor is also When I import a DXF file. This will only part polyline. Confused?

I hope this is going to SLW210

I will start with an apology. This is the second time I have used a forum. I am not sure how a forum works. I now believe it is like having a conversation. I asked a question, you kindly replied, I walked away. How rude of me. Please accept my apology. I am a Novice when it comes to computers. After your help, reading a book, doing a little research, I have focused on the problem. I am working with DXF files. Looking in more detail at the drawing they have provided. The drawing does not join and is not inline. Is it possible to make the profile into one entity? I assume the fuzz command will only work if the individual parts are inline.

a forum is like a conversation but more like one down the pub than in the office. You ask a question and passers by will contribute. Not all contributions will be all that accurate so you may have to look around at how reliable they have been in the past (SLW210 is fine).

You can only offset one object at a time. By PEDITting your bits you are making them in to one item rather than lots of individual items which allows you to offset it in one go. I believe the FUZZ factor is the allowable gap before PEDIT doesn't accept the items as belonging to the same object. Press F1 in AutoCAD and you should get some help.

Welcome to the forums. Yes the forums are like a world wide public discussion.

When posting a question scroll down to the bottom of the page there will be links to several

post on the same or similar subject that might be helpful.

I see nothing you did that was rude or not up to forum standards/etiquette. You responded fairly quickly.

My apologies to you as I did not see your post yesterday afternoon (US Eastern).

There are members here from all over the globe and thus completely different time zones.

You can also _Pedit then Enter then M (for multiple) and select many lines using a window/fence selection.

You can also use boundary. When the boundary dialogue box appears, choose polyline and select a point inside the profile. To easily differentiate between your multiple objects and the newly created polylines, it is recommended to change color first. The new polyline will be created with a new color. With Selection Cycling on, it is easy to select the polyline and apply all changes you want to it.

I thought I was having a problem with the offset command. Itis the DXF files which I have been inserting which is the problem. I have had aclose look at the individual elements of the drawing and found they are nottouching each other or inline. When I measure the difference it is zero eventhough visually they are not inline. When I draw a practice profile there is noproblem. I am aware the DXF files we use are drawn on a different package.There may not be a solution. I am prepared to entertain any suggestions.

I ran overkill, then I had to run _MPEDIT (an express tool) to get it to be continuous. Set Fuzz Factor to .01.

_PEDIT with M would not work with any Fuzz Factor on this, seems to be a glitch in the gaps and fuzz factor.

I've had a similar problem before with trying to offset profile lines that sort of close-in towards themselves (although not cross). They are joined polylines (no gaps) all on the same elevation although just refuse to offset. There are a couple of lisps (one for offsetting inwards, one outwards) on the net that have I have had limited success in using (can't remember the names currently sorry).