How to Properly Insert High-Res Objects into CAD

Paul Maxx

This is something I consistently have issues with and and have come to the conclusion that I just must not know the correct way to do it.

I am using AutoCAD 2011 LT.

Windows 7 32-bit

3 GB of RAM

For my current task I have to insert high-res pictures onto a set of floorplans.

My process is as follows.

- Locate image from Vendor Website

-Copy image through windows Clipboard (CTRL+C)

- Paste into DWG File through Clipboard

- grab the corner to scale it down to size because it always comes in huge.

Some of the Issues I am encountering.

- Object is inserted as OLE object. I cannot insert as Block or any other Paste Special option besides Bitmap

- I cannot copy the object throughout the drawing

- when I reopen the file after saving OLE objects are gone or just white square

- I cannot view object in a viewport

I have looked around but and tried a couple of the recommended processes but none seem to work. I am no running into brick walls getting Unhandled Exceptions and now Fatal Errors.

I understand there is a possibility of my workstation being an issue but I must attempt the correct procedure before advising my higher ups that the hardware cannot handle it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

From the website, Right-Click>Save image as, save it to your hard drive. Open with MS Paint (or other image software), resize as needed, select all and copy>Paste to AutoCAD.

What does that procedure do for the image file size? Does it increase it further or reduce it substantially? Just curious.

If you reduce the image size, it reduces the image size, if you increase the image size, you increase the image size.

I have tried this method using MS Paint but run into issues with that as well.

When I paste into model space everything is fine except when I go to view the object in a Layout Tab through a Viewport only the outline of a box is shown. Also the image does not show when it is plotted. As a side note you also cannot normally rotate the image but that is easily overcome by first rotating it in Paint.

I tried pasting the image in an Active viewport on a Layout tab and the inverse happened. I could see the image on the Layout page but only an outline in model space. Still would not show when plotted as well.

Also if I make the image too small in Paint it becomes very pixelated.

I can use a raster image with some success but then I run into issues having to transmit all my images.

Edited by Paul Maxx
add additional information

Have you tried inserting the images as XREFs using the "Insert Image" option in the XREF manager? If you can find a way to do it, you will have more control of the properties and will be able to copy, etc.

Have you tried inserting the images as XREFs using the "Insert Image" option in the XREF manager? If you can find a way to do it, you will have more control of the properties and will be able to copy, etc.

Wouldn't that be the same as a Raster Image?

'Raster' file or raster 'image' mean the same thing. 'Raster' and 'Image' are interchangeable. ( Wiki )

Concerning the OP's issues:

I can't imagine any vendor images being very large in file size if saved from a web site. Even with the low spec'd PC the OP is using I wouldn't think this to be an issue. I think attaching through the Xref Manager is the best option to avoid any OLE issues.

I don't care for OLE attachments anyways.

'Raster' file or raster 'image' mean the same thing. 'Raster' and 'Image' are interchangeable. ( Wiki )

Concerning the OP's issues:

I can't imagine any vendor images being very large in file size if saved from a web site. Even with the low spec'd PC the OP is using I wouldn't think this to be an issue. I think attaching through the Xref Manager is the best option to avoid any OLE issues.

I don't care for OLE attachments anyways.

I can use a raster image with some success but then I run into issues having to transmit all my images.

Oh I see said the blind man.

How would that be different from using OLE? It is still looking at the same source.

I don't see the difference between the two. You still have to send the source document or image with the file that is linked to the AutoCad file. No source, no connection.

Edit:

Nevermind, I just realized that it can be embedded. :oops: :surrender: