Difficulty placing component in assembly on guide axis? Always upsidedown

numberOCD

Hi, I'm very new to Inventor. I'm trying to place an aerial crane's wheels on the rails. I have guide axes on both the wheels and the axes in flush position and parallel direction.

The problem I get is the crane component was drawn rotated 90 degrees on the Z and Y axes (unintentionally), and comes in discombobulated. So when I select the guide line on the left wheels and the left rail and then the right wheels and right rail, the crane assembly is upside down but in perfect motion.

Could any body guide on how to fix this?

The orientation of creation is really irrelevant (think of a screw - it could be in an assembly in any orientation, so if a fastener can be any orientation than surely you can set any part in any orientation).

Your contstraints will control the assembly.

Without seeing your assembly (which you didn't attach) Try Mate-Flush rather than Mate.

I ended up using a mate-mate with an offset to coordinate it. Same idea.

But another problem that just came up is trying to work a Rolling: Cylinder to Cylinder joint of a 6" Dia Shaft against a 12" Dia wheel with the axes space 9" apart with which I keep getting the notice "The distance between the axes does not equal the sum of the radii." Any ideas?

(In the attached file, the CraneAssembly.iam has the CraneCrossBrace invisible currently to show the wheel and shaft contact)

CraneAssembly.zip

The tangency was never noted in the error. So I went back and started a new file and place all of the components again and this time I've got them all rotating properly (that was a problem before) by constraining work axes instead of center axes. Now that I have the wheels and shaft working, I try a rolling cylinder to cylinder joint on the 1st wheel to the shaft and am getting the notice:

Joint "Rolling: Cylinder on Cylinder 2C:12 (Shaft:1, Welded group:4)": no degree of freedom in the model. Joint will be deactivated"

I constrained the work axes through the center of each the wheel and shaft (separately) to the work axes through the center of their hole openings on the main grounded body, and then the proper work planes to keep them distanced from the body. So I just need to figure out the issue here and I should be golden.

CraneAssembly2.zip

I get a bunch of errors of missing parts you didn't include.

Also, I'm kind of lost what all of the workpoints, planes and axis are for?

And your sketches are wayyyy too complex and not constrained or making obvious use of symmetry about the origin.

You might start here.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

Notice how much more simple my sketch is and fully constrained.

You should never repeat dimensions.

complicated.jpg

pencil.png