Help with text substitution

dahabit

Hello everyone,

I am working on an old drawing and new drawing. Every time I bring in a text from a new DWG. to and older DWG. it will try to substitute it. For example right now it says "substituting [simple.shx for Archquik.shx]. When AutoCAD does this, most of the time there is a huge (30 second to 2 minute) delay, and even in some cases it crashes on me. So I am wondering is there any way around it?

The "Font Support Folder" is where all your .shx fonts are normally stored. You can find out where that folder is by going to Tools > Options > Files > Support Files Support Path. I'm trying to determine if your "New" drawing is actually using that font, or if it's already been substituted in that one as well.

Are you copying drawings opened on the same computer, or between two different computers? If on the same computer, do you have both drawings open in AutoCAD2012, or do you have two versions of AutoCAD open at the same time (ie "new drawing" open in AutoCAD2012 and "old drawing" open with AutoCAD2011)

The "Font Support Folder" is where all your .shx fonts are normally stored. You can find out where that folder is by going to Tools > Options > Files > Support Files Support Path. I'm trying to determine if your "New" drawing is actually using that font, or if it's already been substituted in that one as well.

Are you copying drawings opened on the same computer, or between two different computers? If on the same computer, do you have both drawings open in AutoCAD2012, or do you have two versions of AutoCAD open at the same time (ie "new drawing" open in AutoCAD2012 and "old drawing" open with AutoCAD2011)

I am just using one computer and both drawing are opened in AutoCAD '12.

Yes, the new drawing actually using the Archquik font as default. Any new drawing I start from scratch has Archquik as default.

I am a little ashamed to say this but, AutoCAD '12 doesn't have the old tool bar where it use to say file, edit, view, insert, format, tool, etc... And I don't know how to get it back. So currently I don't know how to find the "font support folder".

I assume you're using the Ribbon, so the menu bar is off by default. You should be able to get it back by typing MENUBAR at the command line and setting it to "1"

Your Right-click menu should have "Options" at the bottom, or you can type OPTIONS at the command line.

Does the "Old" drawing already have a text style with the same name as the style of the text you're trying to import?

You may read through the Help files for Fontalt and/or Font Map (acad.fmp) which control what happens when AutoCAD can't find a needed font. I don't think those are drawing based setting though, so I'm not sure why 2012 tries to substitute in one drawing but not the other.

Maybe you could you upload two small sample drawings here? One being a sample of the "new" drawing that uses the archquik font, and the other a sample of the "old" drawing.

At this moment I don't think I can upload it.

The one thing that I think seems to work is take the entire old drawing and paste into the new drawing. Then it only tries to convert to archquik.shx. Which seems to be much faster compared to the other way around.

That seems logical if each drawing shares a common text style name, but those styles use different fonts. The drawing being inserted will inherit the properties of the drawing it's being inserted into.

Well this new way seems to work. At least I'm not crashing every time I try to do something. Thanks for your input.

PS. Where is CAD Tutor based out of? I ask because if you look at the time of each replies it says yesterday. Must be somewhere far East.

Glad you've found a solution.

David, the owner, lives in the UK, so I suppose that's where Cadtutor is based. You can access your "Settings" at the top right corner of every page, then look for the Time Zone under the "General Settings" section