how to do road profiles -cross sections in Autocad 2004

kob

For AutoCad 2004; would be to use LandDevelopement Desktop (or LDD). To do it in vanilla AutoCad would be a task that is very time consuming and tedious. I have never seen any books explaining how to do so outside of LDD. There are quite a few elements that would go into determining all of the known parts (and unknown parts) to generate profiles and cross-sections. You're horizontal alignment is the very beginning point. Then you must determine all the elevations at the various points of the existing grade to start working on the profile. The cross-sections would come afterwards once you determined the interval of each one. Then the elevation process for each cross-section would have to be determined based on the elevation at that point on the profile and then carrying your cross slopes along the cross-section in each direction (left and right of the alignment) to determine what the elevations would be for each cardinal point of the cross-section.

I could go on but you get the gist of it I hope. This is why LDD or Civil 3D would be necessary to keep it from becoming a monumental task.

Come to think of it; it is amazing to think that this is how it was done before the advent of CADD. Each part was thought out on paper and was all done by hand; calculations and drawing or each part.

By the way; Welcome to CADTutor.

Before CIV3d and LDDthere was alternative dedicated software at least 20+ years ago now and even then in some cases was smarter and lees complicated than autocad is now !