Centering a drawing within the watermark ?

Polar_Bus

Hey folks,

I have the student version 2011, and when attempting to plot my drawings, some of my dimensions are overlapping the watermark and are unreadable. Not sure if my instructor will dock me points for this on my assignments. Is there a way to resize a drawing so all of my drawing is visible within the watermark ? Thanks !

Rich K.

Isn't the "watermark" as you call it supposed to be on the outside of your drawing border? How did you manage to overlap it?

Are you utilizing a paper space layout with viewport(s)?

Isn't the "watermark" as you call it supposed to be on the outside of your drawing border? How did you manage to overlap it?

Are you utilizing a paper space layout with viewport(s)?

I've done severall drawings and all have had the watermark placed well outside of my drawing. For some reason this particular drawing a few of my dimensions are overlapping into the watermark. To answer your question regarding if i'm drawing in "paper space" , this I don't know. All's I am doing is opening a new drawing. So I guess whatever "defaults" autocad sets is what i'm in. Thanks for your help !

Rich K.

You're working in the default called "model space". AutoCAD 2011? You should become familiar with paper space layouts and viewports.

You have not been taught how to properly use AutoCAD (or you missed that class).

Attach your file here for someone to show you how it should have been done.

You have not been taught how to properly use AutoCAD (or you missed that class).

Attach your file here for someone to show you how it should have been done.

FYI, I didn't "miss" any classes. The class I am currently enrolled in is a very basic CAD I class that touches on the basic concepts of Autocad. So IMO it's not that I have "not been taught the correct way" but perhaps I will be tought more in depth when I enroll in CAD II . Thanks for your input.

I solved my problem, but again i'm not sure why this peticular drawing has this overlap issue and not my other drawings. I ended up clicking "plot" then within the "what to plot" dialog box I selected "window" then carefully selected my drawing , then clicked "plot" and my outputted drawing is now fully residing inside the edu watermark.

Glad that you found a way around it!

The most annoying bugs and quirks with AutoCAD are those that appear in one drawing but not another. And trust me, they won't stop :facepalm:

A work around that is often succesful when these types of quirks appear is to Copy everything in your drawing, start a new drawing and Paste everything in there - and then delete the faulty DWG and carry on like nothing happend. It's surprising how often the quirks don't follow along to the new file.

Good luck with your cad-studies :)

Glad that you found a way around it!

The most annoying bugs and quirks with AutoCAD are those that appear in one drawing but not another. And trust me, they won't stop :facepalm:

A work around that is often succesful when these types of quirks appear is to Copy everything in your drawing, start a new drawing and Paste everything in there - and then delete the faulty DWG and carry on like nothing happend. It's surprising how often the quirks don't follow along to the new file.

Good luck with your cad-studies :)

Great tip, i'll keep this in mind moving forward ! I'm proud of myself that at this time, my very novice experience, I was able to figure out a solution !