Layers on but cant see them

ejmmfc

Hi

I do hope someone can perhaps help as I've been sent a dwg file from an architect and I cannot see the detail I require. All the layers are there I've unfrozen them and ensured they are on but I still cant see them. You can see from the attached image that they are strangely greyed out.

When I open the layers window the status icon for each layer is also grey instead of blue. What could be the problem. All help and suggestions really appreciated.

CADS.jpg

The balloon announcing "unreconciled layers" tells me there is an xref involved. You will have to change the fade control for your xrefs.

Open up your Options window. Go to the Display tab. In the bottom right corner you'll see the Fade Control box. Adjust the "Xref display" setting to somewhere nearer the middle.

Your layer list contains layers that are still frozen.

If a block/xref were inserted on a locked layer, the block/xref may be frozen, too.

And, as Angel said, check your fade control settings.

You are also getting the drawing from a higher version of Cad, so you may have lost some data in translation (down-saving).

Thank you so much for the prompt replies.

I've tried to find xref fade slider the only slider in the options box isn't called that. I'm assuming you mean 'ref edit fading intenisty' in the bottom right corner...I moved it toward the centre with no change once applied.

Contrary to the jpeg attached I have also unfroze all layers and no change.

What are xrefs ?

Do you have any further ideas ?

The "invisible" objects may be the products of an AutoCAD product you don't have. For instance, if you have basic "vanilla" AutoCAD, and someone sends you a drawing created in an Architectural version, it may contain compound objects that your version can't interpret or display. Instead AutoCAD draws "proxy objects" that show where those compound objects would go. That's where your error message came from.

You can get Object Enablers from Autodesk, for free, to show these special objects. You won't be able to edit them, but you will be able to see them.

The "invisible" objects may be the products of an AutoCAD product you don't have. For instance, if you have basic "vanilla" AutoCAD, and someone sends you a drawing created in an Architectural version, it may contain compound objects that your version can't interpret or display. Instead AutoCAD draws "proxy objects" that show where those compound objects would go. That's where your error message came from.

You can get Object Enablers from Autodesk, for free, to show these special objects. You won't be able to edit them, but you will be able to see them.

I would suggest downloading from Autodesk, if you don't already have it, TRUE VIEW 2012, it is free, and may help. Presumably the files have been saved as Autocad 2007 files, and not Autocad 2010?

Contrary to the jpeg attached I have also unfroze all layers and no change.

What are xrefs ?

Sometimes the answer comes in the form of a question. Those layers are for an XREF that is not being found. An XREF (eXternal REFerence) is a file that gets loaded into another file. Kind of like a block but betterer. When the XREF gets changed it also changes in the referencing file when reloaded.

The issue is indeed with xref references, thank you. There showing but the path comes from the architects box not mine, the net result being I'm having them send those which are pertinent to me only seperately. Thanks again for all your comments.