Bearings and Distances

cyjones

Good Morning,

I am drawing parcels from surveyors descriptions with some success. However, I was wondering if using PLINE is the best method. Also if I do not pay close attention the line will be drawn in the opposite (say south instead of north). Am I missing a step. As a reference or starting point I have a layer of Townships and Ranges and Sections to line up with.

I use Auto Cad Map 3D 2012.

Any suggestions or books to start would be wonderful.

Many thanks.

Typically there is a Point of Beginning for the directions. If you start from there, the north/south confusion should clear itself up. Sometimes surveyors will add arrows to show the direction of travel. In any case, once you start, you should keep going clockwise or counterclockwise.

Whether you use a polyline or a series of lines and arcs depends on how you will use that property line in the future. If, for example, you will need to offset a line for a setback or an easement, you might want to use lines.

Welcome to the forum!

Many thanks,

I am glad I found this site. Last time many of the drawings I have were last touched in 1996/1998/2004. And I am just learning it all. I was wondering where I could learn how to extract/draw an Xref from an existing map. That is my next project.

Thank you again.

You can also use the COGO tools to create those parcels, as long as you know the survey terms and understand bearings, quadants, azimuths etc. in Map3D. Also you might want to ask the map questions in the Map forum, the experts on it stop in there first before hitting the beginners and genaral questions forums. ;)

Welcome to the better site.

I was looking at COGO and trying to learn more from the help section on AutoCad Map, but I kept having questions. Thanks for the direction ot the Map forum, I will ask there.