AutoCad Problem - Splines & Tangents

tomtomtom

Hello

I am still very new to AutoCAD and I was hoping someone out there could help me shed some light on the following problem.

I have 5 nodes each of which has an x y & z co-ordinates.

I have converted each of these nodes into a control vertex and created a spline of degree 3.

Because the spline does not directly go through each of the control vertices and thus there is some gap between the spline and the control vertices; what I want to know is, what is the distance between a particular control vertex and the spline measured at right angles to the tangent line of the spline.

Attached is a diagram of what I am referring to.

The values I am using are completely arbitrary and I have used them just to get my point across.

I have also attached the actual .dwg file that contains the total number of control vertices and the spline.

I hope this makes sense.

AutoCad Problem Splines & Tangents.pdf

Autocad Problem Splines & Tangents.dwg

Turn on the NODE and PERPENDICULAR OSnaps, then start the DISTance, MEASUREGEOM, or DIMALIGNED command. "Snap" to a node first, then as you approach the Spline, the AutoCAD will "snap" Perpendicular to the Spline.

Nestly

Thank you for your reply.

I have done as you have recommended, however I can snap onto the node and when I begin to measure the distance from the node to the spline the perpendicular symbol appears.

But the problem is that the second arrow (the arrow that points to the spline) does not "touch" the spline.

It is difficult to explain, but I have attached the .dwg drawing and what I have done is attempted to measure the distance between the spline and the node but when you zoom in you will see that the arrow that points to the spline is not touching the spline.

Do you know how I can overcome this?

Thanks for your help.

Autocad Problem Splines & Tangents.dwg

I'm pretty sure that's a display/resolution issue. I believe the measurement is correct, the spline is just not being displayed as perfectly "smooth"

I tried to correct it in Options > Display but none of the settings I tried made the arc/spline sufficiently smooth in your drawing. Hopefully someone else will have an idea how to correct the display smoothness issue.