UCS and PEDIT join

fonz

I'm trying to extrude a circle around a path in all dimensions, so I drew my path in lines, filleted the corners then tried to join using the PEDIT - Join command.

Firstly, the join says something like "2 segments added to 2 polylines" when really all I want is 1 polyline.

Second, when I try to insert my circle for extrusion I OSNAP to the end of the line, then when I specify the radius it draws in the wrong plane. So far the only way I have gotten around it is rotating the ucs. Is there an easy way to do this? my Dynamic UCS is on but I have no idea what it does anyway to be honest.

Thanks

The first problem may be with the polylines being created on different UCS's, which will prevent them from joining.

Circles, like polylines, can only be drawn on the current XY plane. Either rotate the USC into the proper orientation prior to starting the circle, and make sure Dynamic UCS doesn't change it, or use 3DROTATE to rotate the circle after it's drawn, or (my recommendation) is to use the SWEEP command, rather than EXTRUDE, as this will (by default) automatically align the sweep object with the path.

If you're still having trouble, you can post your drawing by using the "Go Advanced" button under the Quick Reply window.

Welcome to Cadtutor.

Edited by nestly

Your description has me thinking that what you may be trying to draw is a HELIX, which you can easily accomplish using the HELIX command on the Modeling Toolbar, or by entering HELIX at the commandline and following the prompts. Sounds like you are trying to model a spring? Once you have your helix, or whatever shape you really are after, you should be able to SWEEP a circle along it, by designating it as the PATH, as suggested by nestly.

I have circled the HELIX and SWEEP tools on the MODELING TOOLBAR.

modeling a spring.JPG