Civil Engineering (Bridge) Plan Help

WTFD4V1D

I attached a PDF of a plan that I did a year ago when I was less familiar with AutoCAD. I scaled everything to inches so that I could print at 1:1 on a 11x17 paper which was pretty painful. After reading some threads and stuff, I was thinking about doing it differently.

I am thinking about drawing the Elevation, Plan, and Typical Section each in their own file first. Then I will XREF those three into a HOST file in model space. Is that the best way to do it? I will dimension in model space as well. As for the little texts (such as 783+000), should I create them in model space as well? How about the text in the Legend Section? Do you guys have any other tips to improve efficiency? Thanks!

1. General Plan.pdf

Draw everything FULL size in model space. Do not scale objects like you would on a drafting board. Then utilize paper space layouts and viewports. You can do all your dimensioning and callouts for your bridge in model space but you might want to use a feature called "annotative scaling". Your titleblock and border, however, should go in paper space.

Tips for efficiency? Yes...design/use a template. You probably know that already.