RSI - too much mousing - what alternatives?

fostertom

Don't know where to post this - mod, feel free to relocate.

Presently on 2D Acad for small but detailed architectural, know I must move soon to 3D, whether Acad 2012 with Fusion, or Archicad or similar. But I'm getting RSI from all the mousing - looking for advice.

Yes I've adjusted my seat height so my wrist doesn't rest on the metal desk edge, wearing sheepskin cuff/wrist support to keep it warm and off the desktop. What else?

I have a Space Pilot but can't get into its limited use in 2D for zoom/pan (I work all over very extensive Model Space), so endless wheel-scrolling continues. What more cd I use that for, to give my right hand a rest?

Maybe a v large mouse with palm support so not continually holding my wrist up in the air - any experience/recommendations?

Is it true that an on-edge mouse helps, with hand more in handshake posture that flat on table?

What about trackball - I tend to think that wd just create more work for the fingers.

And finally, Wacom tablet. I've seen these recommended for technical CAD (not interested in subtle freehand sketching). I have no experience - what do they do?

I've used trackballs for years. Don't know why they even still make regular mouses after they figured out how to make trackballs. Never used a wacom tablet, had a digitizer for several years in the early days. Takes up too much desk space to suit me, but I have to admit, that big full size tablet they have thats about $2500 is very interesting. Not enough to buy one at that price, but interesting none the less.

I'd appreciate description of what trackballs, tablets actually do, in context of technical CAD - I have never tried them.

Voice recognition software? You would save on the movement involved in picking commands off a toolbar, tool palette or drop-down menu.

Yes, thinking of that too. Any experience, with tech CAD?

Maybe if I get ticket from doc to say I'm crippled, cd get public funds support, like dyslexic friends have - even expert advisors to determine needs, buy kit, help train and set up - welfare state at its best!

I've read of a couple of people who used voice recognition software to run AutoCAD after having been involved in vehicle accidents that left them paralyzed.

I wouldn't say having RSI makes you a "cripple" and I am not advocating on behalf of the "welfare state". Neither is pertinent to the topic.

When we had a student in the office he got bad RSI so our IT department investigated alternate devices. I tried the trackball and just couldn't get on with it. I could zoom around the screen OK but when I wanted to get in close my thumb would start to wobble. The closer I got the more my thumb would twitch and the trackball got closer to being thrown across the room.

We cured the students RSI by shifting him to another department.

I have an 8 button logitech trackball and I love it. I can't use a mouse now for more than 5 minutes without the aches starting again. I would say it only helps reduce the pain in my arm and shoulder not stop in entirely.

I did use a wacom tablet for an old CAD programme and found that it caused me to lean forward and lean over the tablet similar to a drawing board and that wound up giving me back ache.

Please note I'm only 32, but I have been falling apart since 19!

I have a Space Pilot but can't get into its limited use in 2D for zoom/pan ......

When I first got my (free demo) Space Pilot I tried to use it for several hours but didn't really get the hang of it.

Put it aside.

A couple of weeks later I was about to put it back in the box and sell it on eBay when I decided to give it one more try.

Went in the control panel and switched the zoom/pan setting for up/down push/pull.

I was flying like a pro in minutes.

Never looked back - now I couldn't CAD (3D) without one.

And great with Google Earth for planning trips to new cities. (a bit more work to set up for correct motion)

Purchased 50 of 'em.

At work, I have my entire forearm directly on my desktop, and I've set up my mouse so that it doesn't take a lot of movement to get from one side of the screen to the other. (maybe 1" of movement will do it) I also use a Logitech Mx518 and have the extra buttons programmed for some basic commands. I don't have any pains at work with this set up.

The biggest thing you can do for your RSI at the moment is stretch out your wrist. Stand close to a wall and hold your arm out so it is level with the floor. Put the top of your hand against the wall (so your fingers are pointing towards the floor) and lean into the wall. Hold for about 10 seconds and then place the palm of your hand on the wall (fingers towards the ceiling) and lean in again. Do that about three or four times every hour or two.

When I first got my (free demo) Space Pilot I tried to use it for several hours but didn't really get the hang of it ... decided to give it one more try ... flying like a pro in minutes. Never looked back - now I couldn't CAD (3D) without one.
I too have found Space Pilot 2D pan/zoom very easy and natural, having come back to it. Not re-trying 3D motions yet.

Trouble is, having done a pan/zoom or anything else with it, I have to do an Esc to cancel the 3DX_MOTION command (on command line) before the mouse or any keyboard command will work. That is a drag - wonder if it's just the primitive driver for Acad 2006 - maybe I shd update the driver.

The vertical mouse at work and the trackball at home have helped me tremendously. It is also recommended that you take frequent short breaks from the mouse with light stretching and or exercising. Even just getting up and walking around for a few minutes will help.

I'm only 32, but I have been falling apart since 19!
way to go!

Thanks to all for the gd personal experience - just what I wanted.

... and I've set up my mouse so that it doesn't take a lot of movement to get from one side of the screen to the other. (maybe 1" of movement will do it)

This can be very helpful you can change your mouse "acceleration" in control panel to accomplish it.

One other thing that I've found useful is the Aerial View for panning zooming, but it can take up a lot of space to be most useful. I've got it located on my scend monitor.

• 1 year later...
I have an 8 button logitech trackball and I love it. I can't use a mouse now for more than 5 minutes without the aches starting again. I would say it only helps reduce the pain in my arm and shoulder not stop in entirely.

I did use a wacom tablet for an old CAD programme and found that it caused me to lean forward and lean over the tablet similar to a drawing board and that wound up giving me back ache.

Please note I'm only 32, but I have been falling apart since 19!

Argh, only 1 1/2 years left for me! :(

Many guys in the office here suffer from RSI.

I always recommend an adjustable mouse and wrist support. Have a look at the R.A.T 7 - Very good mouse I cannot CAD without now. Using a box standard mouse now feels like using a laptop touch pad. 8)

At the moment I'm using one of these at home: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-mamba

Allows for on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment. Usually I've got my entire forearm (from elbow to wrist) resting on the desk. Then have the mouse sensitivity such that my wrist doesn't move more than 10 degrees to get from the left to the right of the screen. I then adjust the sensitivity (using the Mamba's buttons next to the left-click) if and when I want to pick something very delicately (but this happens seldom).

Previously I've used digitizers, loved the principle of having all your buttons on the tablet instead of your screen. But I did find that some brands had badly shaped cursers / stylusses -e.g. the Genius tended to give me cramps in my hand, while the Calcomp never did.

I've tried trackballs before, just couldn't get the hang of it. I've got a similar situation with a laptop track-pad: absolutely despise it with a passion.