ATTEXT:invalid field specification, invalid field specification, etc etc

Edward Teller

After 7+ hours including several reading posts here I've reached the conclusion that either there is a defect in ACAD (very, very unlikely), or, there is some secret, undocumented way to create a usable template file that ATTEXT can use to extract attribute information from blocks. The goal is to construct a small building within ACAD (before the first piece of material is cut or even bought) exclusively from blocks with attribute information for each block and then to extract what will end up being a bill of materials and cost sheet. (in lieu of my normal approach of hand sketching, trial and error cutting and fitting as I go along).

I have read the manual 4 - 5 times, followed instructions exactly (or at least think I have), reviewed postings here (and then trying different ways as suggested in this forum). Nothing works. I have even created a single block in single file with one attribute to simplify it. Once I can figure out what's wrong, I can get back to it. Anyway, same error comes back every time. The current, extremely simplified, PracticeExtractAttributes.txt (template file) file reads:

BL:MYBLOCK C01500

STICKNAME C01500

with MYBLOCK being the block name and STICKNAME being the tag name for one attribute from the drawing. Same error.

Note: although I use ACAD very infrequently I have been using it since (if I recall correctly) 2.56 back in the 80s and currently use 2000. I am missing something but have no idea what. What's the secret?

JEH

PS the ATTEXT will create a DXX file with the information in it (hence my conclusion the problem is in the template file), but that would require me to spend hours and hours writing code to parse the DXX file (once I had the format figured out) to get the info out.

I thought that the three output formats were Comma-Delimited File (CDF), Space-Delineated File (SDF) or Drawing Interchange File (DXF). If you want text directly, why do you not use one of the first two formats?

Have you tried the command "_eattext" to see if you have an Attribute Extraction Wizard which does make things easier.

Did you read THIS?

SLQ210:

Nope - should have researched in autodesk site. Eureka. Worked on the single attribute practice file. Now will try on a "real" drawing. Like I thought a simple thing - once you know - as you obviously do. Thank you so very, very much. ACAD is great software. As long as I follow instructions can usually get it to work. Am exited about current project - so much "cleaner" to build it in the computer memory first, before cut the first stick or buy the material. By the way, the old release 10 tutorial is a great learning (or, in my case, relearning) tool.

Thanks so much again.

JEH

PS to Eldon - yes, that's the idea - getting out in SDF or CSV file.