Plotting - Line Width

mchatch

I have used color to determine line widths. The plotter set-up recognizes color and assigns the appropriate line width. My new company is determining line width by using polylines:cry:. Am I behind the times? Or, is this a better way. Willing to change.

I will say that the best solutions are to use colors or layers to associate lineweights for plotting. There are many disadvantages to use polylines for this purpose: the drawing will slow down, the differences are hard to spot at some zoom levels and also there are some types of entities that cannot be converted directly to polylines (i.e. circles, ellipses, dimensions).

Regards,

Mircea

I have used color to determine line widths. The plotter set-up recognizes color and assigns the appropriate line width. My new company is determining line width by using polylines:cry:. Am I behind the times? Or, is this a better way. Willing to change.

That is not a better way to do it, it isn't even a viable way to do it.

This should be handled in the layer manager with my preference being through named plot styles.

We use plot by colour for thickness and plines were lines exceed the plotted line width very simple and like above we use plot styles for laser, mono v's colour, A0plotter, Tiffs.