why dimension value doesn't change with scaling?

khoshravan

I have the same problem and want to scale only in one direction.

Through the search I find out that the solution is block/insert and I use it.

But what is my problem?, Dimension lines.

My drawing has dimension line and I want AutoCad to change the dimension value after inserting according to scale factor. How can I do this? At present after scaling in one direction, dimension value remains same as before scaling.

I am not sure it is related to block or dimension. I have read some articles about "annotation" objects and dimension and I think my problem is related to this article?

Can someone shed a light on this issue?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• khoshravan

• Bogbadbob658

• ReMark

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to correct my above question.

After exploding, dimension value accepts the scaling but I changes the scale for both direction.

I should add that while trying to choose the scale factor inside block command, only x direction was available (y and z boxes were greyed out)

If I'm understanding your question after exploding the block which has been scaled in one direction only you to be able to dimension the objects. The only way I can think of doing it is to select the dimensions which need amending and change the Primary Units, Dim Scale Linear to match the scale factor. i.e if the scale factor is 2 change Dim Scale Linear to 0.5. HOWEVER this only works in the direction of the scaling if you have dims that are diagonal this won't work.

I would think that since the block is scaled unequally you would need two different dimension styles each with their own unique scale factor.

I would think that since the block is scaled unequally you would need two different dimension styles each with their own unique scale factor.

I have horizontal and vertical dimensions. For this time we ignore the diagonal dimensions as Bob mentioned which makes the issue complicated.

Do you mean to define 2 different dim styles, one for horizontal dim line and other for vertical one?

Before scaling/blocking both of them had one stlye, then how can I separate them into 2 different styles?

Could you explain more?

I moved your question to its own thread, since the thread was fairly old.

I thought continuing old threads is a good habit for following reasons:

1- It shows that I have searched old threads.

2- It brings backs old threads, so they are not forgotten

3- It lowers number of threads and avoids enlarging the forum

4- It keeps similar threads in one space and easy to find relevant answers.

But it seams it is not a good idea to follow the old threads and it is better to start new one.

Although I am not satisfied, but I will follow the rule and start new threads instead of following old threads

The only way I can think of doing it is to select the dimensions which need amending and change the Primary Units, Dim Scale Linear to match the scale factor. i.e if the scale factor is 2 change Dim Scale Linear to 0.5. HOWEVER this only works in the direction of the scaling if you have dims that are diagonal this won't work.

I will try it but plz read my reply to Remark reply. I haven't tried yet but I think I have to define 2 dim styles before block/insert. Because if both horizontal and vertical dims are defind by one dim styles, then I think chinging Dim scale after block/insert will affect both, not one.

Remark's suggestion to create a separate style is a good one as it would less confusing to understand to someone else looking at the model. It doesn't matter at what stage when you create the 2nd dim style. If you create it and apply before creating the block the dimensions will look wrong until you scale the block and explode it. If you do it after creating the block then you just need to apply the style to the appropriate dims.

p.s. If you don't explode the block then none of this is necessary. As the dims will appear correct.

Sorry forgot to say in reply to your last comment.You don't have to create 2 styles you can change the dim scale individually to each dim through the properties box.

Are you scaling something in one direction in order to make it fit in a smaller or larger space, in other words to change the objects true size? That is not what scaling is for.

The reason your dimension does not change is because Scaling an object is supposed to be used to change the object's drawing size in relation to whatever size paper it needs to fit on, rather than actually change the objects real world size. When using scaling the dimensions are intended to remain the same.

Maybe what you need is a dynamic block with a stretch action. After insertion, you can stretch or squish it to fit any size. Then the associated dimensions will change as the object is lengthened or shortened.

Ok, after reading Dana W's post I'm not sure about the original thread. Are you trying to 1. create a block that is scaleable and updates the dims automatically or 2. create a block that is scalable but has different scale factors in the x and y directions. If it's 1 the Dana W's post is correct. Can you post a drawing continining the block and a bit better explanation of what you need.

The left Wardrobe is the original one with 214 mm length and 240mm height. Height is correct but I want to reduce width to 200 mm.

Right one is after block/insert. Block changes both directions.

Another odd thing is that now I can't explode neither of them

marzdaranWardRobe2.dwg

Ok, after reading Dana W's post I'm not sure about the original thread. Are you trying to 1. create a block that is scaleable and updates the dims automatically or 2. create a block that is scalable but has different scale factors in the x and y directions. If it's 1 the Dana W's post is correct. Can you post a drawing continining the block and a bit better explanation of what you need.

Well, my question is not blocking. I want to compress the drawing only in X direction and not in y direction. I call it one-direction scaling. Through search I find no solution except using block.

In reply to Dana's question, I want to change the true size of the drawing only in one direction

Well, my question is not blocking. I want to compress the drawing only in X direction and not in y direction. I call it one-direction scaling. Through search I find no solution except using block.

In reply to Dana's question, I want to change the true size of the drawing only in one direction

Then either re-draw a new object, or get into the stretchable/shrinkable dynamic block. Scaling is not for re-fitting pieces of an object or making the same object different in true size. It just does not function that way.

There are plenty of videos on tube that will help with dynamic blocks but just to help you along I have adjusted your block to allow you to stretch the height. Click on the block on the left and and clidk the arrow at the top. when you move the cursor the block stretches and the dims change. This is only a very basic dynamic block there are lots of thing you can do if you spend a little time learning about them.

test.dwg

I have adjusted your block to allow you to stretch the height.

Click on the block on the left and and clidk the arrow at the top.

Dear Bog

Thanks for your time and efforts. I couldn't see an arrow in the left drawing.:oops:

I will put time to learn the dynamic block.

Also thanks for sending the video-tutorial site on you other post.:)