How do I purge layers that have nothing on them?

MLP

In our drawing files, we have several layers that our office is no longer using. The layers are empty but I can't purge them. We also have a block that seems to be related to the layers we cant purge. The block is made up of only 1 word. I've inserted the block, exploded it, and erased it but I still can't purge it. There seems to be some connection between these two things, but I haven't been able solve the problem. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

MLP

Do you have any layers which are turned off, locked, frozen, isolated or viewport frozen? It sounds like the previous suggestions should take care of them. If it doesn't, then use LAYMRG, and the NAME option, and you can consolidate any offending nonentities into your 0 layer, after which the offending layers will be removed. Did you try Remark's -PURGE at the commandline routine yet?

Being a "newbe" I'm still getting the hang of finding information in this forum. I'm also touched by how many people want to help me with my little problem. As for my problem, I found a suggestion in another thread that helped me get rid of the unused layers. Using the Express Tools program, I place a line on each of the unwanted layers and using the Delete Layer command from Express, I can select the lines (one at a time) and delete the unsued layers. You have to read the command lines carefully in order to complete the deletion. I'm still working on deleting the one block that seems to have no function other than to befuddel me.

Since you're in 2000, you might even try the old CDGPurge - there should be something available if you google for it. It seems to not be updated since 2006 though, so the rest of us need to pay for SuperPurge.

A block not purging could have one of three reasons: (1) it's nested inside another block - i.e. it's inserted into the definition of another block; (2) it's used in a style (like tick-marks in dimensions); and (3) it contains nothing so you can't select it to delete it. If one of the 1st two, then you need to check through all these or use one of the afore mentioned purge routines. If the last try doing this:

Ensure all layers are on, thawed & unlocked. Zoom extents, scroll zoom out a bit more. Start Erase command, type AllRemove, select by crossing over everything . See if anything was erased - i.e. non-selectable objects like empty text / empty blocks.