What is the best way to draw 2 or more Parrallel Lines

netman

Suggestions on drawing Parrallel lines from one elipse to another?

I am drawing pipe and beams.

I use a variety of methods but would like to know if someone has a command or better idea. Right now I just SNAP to the elipse, draw the lines at the angles and then hit the other elipse. Sometimes though the lines jump all around the elipse.

Thank you all for any suggestions............

How to keep Lines parrallel.dwg

If you draw the ellipse so that its diameter is at right angles to the pipe lines, then you can use Polar Tracking to draw lines from the diameter line.

Or you could draw one of your lines, and then use the Parallel OSnap to draw the other side.

Or copy the first line.

Just a few suggestions :D

If drawing between two ellipses then using the osnap Quad should be all you need. Copy the line to the other quadrant is one way to ensure the lines are parallel. Setting polar angles is another, or osnap, parallel. Or rotating the cursor, or setting the UCS to that angle.

Not sure what you mean by the lines jump all around the ellipse.

Draw the first one where you want it, then copy it from it's end point to whatever snap point you need on the second. If it's too long you can always trim it, if it's too short, extend.

Why not use the Offset command?

That would certainly work if you know exactly how far away you needed the parallel line.

In either method, resist the temptation to use the grips to stretch or shorten the line, or if one end doesn't line up with where you want it. If you do that, it most likely won't remain parallel.

If you are putting lines at both ends of an axis you can offset > Through the second point, right?

Then, of course you will have to Trim or extend the second line if the axis is not perpendicular to the lines.

If you are putting lines at both ends of an axis you can offset > Through the second point, right?

Then, of course you will have to Trim or extend the second line if the axis is not perpendicular to the lines.

Yes you can use the axis to get the offset. But if your line is not perpendicular to the axis surly you haven't drawn it correctly. I would suggest you draw your parallel lines first then draw the ellipse snapping to the ends using the axis ends, ellipse option rather than centre, ellipse.

Yes you can use the axis to get the offset. But if your line is not perpendicular to the axis surly you haven't drawn it correctly. I would suggest you draw your parallel lines first then draw the ellipse snapping to the ends using the axis ends, ellipse option rather than centre, ellipse.

Yeah, it'd be a pain with the elipse first unless it had an ortho axis.