DWL file problem.

Glen1980

A colleague of mine has just told me of a problem he has had for the five years he has worked here.

Basically if he is in a drawing and someone else opens the same drawing file they get full authoring rights not read only. When he tries to save it tells him he is in read only and can't save. He spoke to IT about it who did nothing but say it was an AutoCAD problem and he never mentioned it to me before but he tells me that it has happened on every machine and every version of LT he has used.

We just tried it with MS Excel and I could only open the spreadsheet in read only. Has anyone else experienced this?

Have you checked to make sure that AutoCAD is putting .dwl files in the folder with the opened drawing? Is it possible that your colleague's user account is limited to reading files and not writing them?

He can usually work OK it's just if someone opens the file he is using and he tries to save it in effect throws him out of the drawing. After lunch I'll check to see if he's computer is creating a dwl.

I can't see it being this unless he has done something to LT as it has happened on 3 different versions of CAD on 3 different machines (all at the same workstation and netwrok connection though)

We have to remember to open drawings from wihtin AutoCAD (first start autocad, then go Open) otherwise, if we open from Windows Explorer exactly what you desscribed will happen Glen. Don't know why though.

I just tried that with him but the dwl performed flawlessly. It may be an intermittent problem, like my car that sounds perfectly healthy at the dealers but then rattles like a 10 year old clunker the second it's away from any professional mechanic!

I've had similar experience with full ACad (even when opening DWG's from within ACad). And it was always due to the server releasing the file lock. Usually a server has some form of time-out, if there's no read/write to the opened file after such time-out then the server deems that the PC no longer has the file open. The DWL is ignored in such case - don't know why, but that is a acad issue.

What I have also found is the reverse of your problem: I.e. not able to save / open the drawing in write mode after a crash in acad, since (get this) I have it open still. In such cases I need to wait for the timeout to occur or reset the locks on the server manually.

What I have also found is the reverse of your problem: I.e. not able to save / open the drawing in write mode after a crash in acad, since (get this) I have it open still. In such cases I need to wait for the timeout to occur or reset the locks on the server manually.

I've had this problem before. Really blooming annoying. It only happens when you're in a rush to get a drawing out.

It only happens when you're in a rush to get a drawing out.
Yes - that's because ACad only crashes when you really don't have the time for it to do so :twisted:

There must be some extremely good programmers at ADesk. I mean it's as if they've turned acad into an empath - it only starts giving trouble when you're in a rush and pressured beyond the norm. At other times it runs smoothly for months on end.