Getting AutoCAD

CADLee

Does anyone know how I could get a copy of AutoCAD cheap. I am on disability and cant afford their prices. I checked on EBAY and even those at times are high. And is there a catch to those versions. they seem cheap or like a ripoff to have a full licemse for a few hundred dollars to a $4000 dollar program new.

I have a few versions of AutoCAD now on a student license, but those wont last forever. I would REALLY hate to go back to TUrboCAD which is what I started on, but now have found that AUTOCAD is much better. I want to keep using AutoCAD.

I know there is a program called ProgeCAD which is a copy of AUtoCAD in a way, but the free version of that is not compatible with Windows 7.

I want to start my own drafting Architecture business on the side and want to use AutoCAD. That is why I am looking for a version that is really dirt cheap. That I can use and wont have to worry about it running out.

I would like 2010 or 2012, but will go as early as 2006 or 2008.

Thank You all for your time

No such thing as a dirt cheap license of AutoCAD. $4k for full, or $1200 for LT (give or take a few dollars). There are other freebie AutoCAD clone alternatives. NanoCAD has been getting a lot of good attention lately, and DraftSight, to name a couple. Those two are probably your best bet.

http://nanocad.com/

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/

You might want to take a look at Bricscad.

I'd be careful about anything bought off eBay or craigslist for that matter because there is no guarantee that you'll be able to obtain an activation code for the program.

Has anyone used any of these. NANOCAD or DRAFTSIGHT? How good are they? Are they close to the ProgeCAD from IntelliCAD. As I mentioned before I used the free verion of this.The ProgeCAD 2009 Smart LT Version. It was very similar to AutoCAD. Do these programs work the same? Any input would be highly appreciated.

I've been using nanocad and draftsight a bit on the side. They're both really good for free programs. I'm leaning to nanocad as being better. (For info, I do only basic 2D, mostly mechanical stuff.)

I haven't used any of the others programs mentioned, so I can't comment on them.

I have a Bricscad license. Its roughly equivalent to Autocad 2008 in features and capability. You can use vba, autolisp and all the stuff you do now in Autocad, plus the files are completely compatible with the latest dwg format. You can make your own buttons, menus, all that stuff just like in autocad. Occasionally, the terminology is different, but that's no big deal. For instance, "orbit" in Autocad is called "real time motion" in Bricscad but it works exactly the same way.

The best part is the price. For less than half of what LT will set you back, you get all the stuff I just mentioned plus 3d and a very good rendering engine. I think it's the best value for the money out there.

Draftsight is a great LT clone. If you don't need or want 3d or autolisp you can't go wrong with it. It's free too.

I've used both of these on projects for customers who use autocad, and they've never noticed the difference. The only thing that happens is that when you open a dwg from any of the other products, Autocad will pop up a little message about it not being produced with an Autodesk product, but that's not a problem, just Autodesk being snobbish.

Is this ZWCAD Free? And I would like to thank yall for the advice on the Draftsight and NanoCAD. I downloaded them both and they are good for the uses that I am going to need them for. Just a couple questions for those who have used them. Do they have a tolerance. Not with Dimensions. Geometric Tolerance. And also Multileaders and Datums. I didnt see either of these. Can yall answer these few questions? It would be highly appreciated.

Downloaded the applications I meant. messed with them a little. but was wanting to know tihs information if yall could before I put them on permanantly. Sorry for all the inconvenience i am causing yall.

Edited by CADLee

How many editing features do you need?

There is a cloud based Autocad drawing editor that is free to use.

You dont need to install anything on your computer just register, for FREE and start using it.

Obviously it is not a full Autocad editor but it does have good functionality.

It also has online sharing of files and on line multi user editing in the same drawing at the same time.

It can also be used on smartphones and MACs.

It is from Autodesk so you know that it is legal.

PS. Did I mention that it is FREE.

Take a look and give it a try.

https://www.autocadws.com/

Considering how easy it seems for some hackers to gain access to servers that store Visa and Mastercard data how safe is "the cloud"?

A note about AutoCAD WS: you can't start a new DWG within WS, you can only edit already created DWG-files. So it's good for those of us that have an AutoCAD-license but pretty useless for those without.

ReMark, its not "the cloud". It's Autodesks cloud service, and it's as secure as Autodesk wishes to make it. So it's a question of do you trust Autodesk to secure your data as much as you need / want.

A note about AutoCAD WS: you can't start a new DWG within WS, you can only edit already created DWG-files. So it's good for those of us that have an AutoCAD-license but pretty useless for those without.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting that it is a full replacement for Autocad but it is usable to create a basic Autocad drawing

It wouldnt be that hard to find and download a dwg template from somewhere, there are plenty attached to this and other forums, load it into WS, add your own basic drawing to it, and saveas.