Attributed Text Shifting

S-8-N

I looked through the forums for this topic and searched for it and couldn't find anything.

I am currently using AutoCAD 2011 but there is a couple in our office using 2012. When they open a drawing with attributed text it shifts the text, usually to the right. The text height stays the same as well as the vertical position. It appears the text letter spacing (kerning I think it is called) is adjusted to be closer and it shifts to the right. If I click on the text and then click on the grip for the text twice it puts it back to what it is suppose to be or was. This doesn't happen in any logical order it is random through out the drawings, making it harder to find and fix them all. I can save the file close it, re-open it and the text shift happens again, randomly. We have only noticed this on drawings that have been opened with 2012. Is that a problem with 2012? Is there a fix for it? I found while GTS that someone clicked on the annotate>annotation scaling>sync scale positions so I tried that and it didn't adjust the text/attributes back to where they are suppose to be/where. The shift happens as stated while re-opening a drawing, also when doing a regen, I also noticed it happening while doing a simple copy/paste of a part that isn't shifting. I hope this makes sense as to what is happening, I would post a drawing but they REALLY frown on us "sharing" our drawings. Someone could take them and take over the world or something LOL. Thanks for any help you might have.

FYI letter-spacing (a.k.a. tracking) is not the same as kerning.

Is this in dynamic blocks, all attributes, certain drawings, etc.? What text style is being used? Can you post an example text and some screen shots of normal and shifted?

P.S. Multi-line or single line? Are they locked?

Wow sorry I missed alot of information.

Not in dynamic blocks, yet

Any of the attributes seem to be fair game at random.

Seems to be only drawings that have been opened in 2012.

Arial text style seems to be all in single line, however some multi-line attributes seem to shift also.

They are not locked that I can tell (not exactly how that works still new-ish)

I haven't added a screen shot to a post yet this might not work but I will give it a go

shift 1.jpg

That is kind of hard to see sorry. But you can see how on the top two the text is all the way in the arrow and the bottom 4 the last number is hanging out. I click on the text/attribute and the grip shows up, click on the grip twice shifts the text back to the left where it is suppose to be. These ones are not as bad as some that hang/shift half the length of the text to the right.

It always is correct in 2011?

Do you mind posting a drawing with some attributes that exhibit this behavior? I will send it to someone here with 2012 and see if I can replicate, be tomorrow though.

It is while using 2012. They would open the drawing in 12 and then when I re-opened it in 11 it was messed up. But one of the other guys that has 12 has had it happen on his system and couldn't fix it by the means I stated with the double click but had to have me in 11 fix it. I might be able to make up a "dummy" file and send it but my question is how? Is it the insert link button? I will have to get something together to post. But remember it happens randomly and all appliances work when deminstrated for the repair man. :) But thank you for help and being willing to have a look at it. If for no other reason than to make sure I am not messing something up. I will post the link in a few.

So the IT guy was walking by and asked what I was posting and asked me to stop. Said there was "other ways" of getting help. He upgraded me to 2012 and I guess we have an AutoCAD help desk connection some how that is now working on the problem. Thank you SLW210 for your efferts in trying to help. The IT guy isn't even in this building why would he be walking by at that moment anyway!?! Again thankyou for the help.

it will be easier for you to look up the object enablers yourself, just look em' up in the help(f1), they may not even be the issue.

as far as your IT guy, he's obviously never tried trouble shooting with autodesk lol, there's a reason so many of us come here looking for awnsers .....

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who wanted to know, it appears to be a font issue on one of our drafters computers, for some reason the font is not being reloaded correctly from another machine also. When he uses a different font everything works fine. But it seems strange still that from his computer to mine it will still shift. The CAD support people they called were a little confused to, who knows they may have called you two in the end LOL. Thanks again.