Write Protected-Who done it?

jmdraft

Related to this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?24086-who-write-protected-my-drawing

Howdy folks,

I haven’t been here for a long while. I retired about 5-6 years ago and my versions are old-ADT 6. recently (past 3-4 months) I have started using it again for my own projects but the version of my mind is also old and near obsolescence………….I don’t remember stuff.

So now back to being annoyed with the mystical little elves that crawl up the legs of my desk, sneak into my computer and change things when I’m asleep.

I’m at home and nobody else (except the elves) uses this computer. I have no reason to write protect anything because all my monkey biz projects are in constant flux. But the elves have been at work. I opened a file today that I worked on yesterday, diddled with it a while and tried to save it………..write protected. I saved it under a new name and, for now, that seems to have worked. Unchecking the Windows properties didn’t work.

I don’t want to be annoyed with this every morning so can someone tell me how to keep it from happening…………..other than elf poison. And if it happens again, what is the best way to undo it? Is there a check box for protect against write protect?

Related to this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?24086-who-write-protected-my-drawing

Howdy folks,

I haven’t been here for a long while. I retired about 5-6 years ago and my versions are old-ADT 6. recently (past 3-4 months) I have started using it again for my own projects but the version of my mind is also old and near obsolescence………….I don’t remember stuff.

So now back to being annoyed with the mystical little elves that crawl up the legs of my desk, sneak into my computer and change things when I’m asleep.

I’m at home and nobody else (except the elves) uses this computer. I have no reason to write protect anything because all my monkey biz projects are in constant flux. But the elves have been at work. I opened a file today that I worked on yesterday, diddled with it a while and tried to save it………..write protected. I saved it under a new name and, for now, that seems to have worked. Unchecking the Windows properties didn’t work.

I don’t want to be annoyed with this every morning so can someone tell me how to keep it from happening…………..other than elf poison. And if it happens again, what is the best way to undo it? Is there a check box for protect against write protect?

I use 2010 and this happens occasionally. The only cure I've found is to do a saveas, rename it and then delete the original file. I thought at first it was orphaning the lock file, but I couldn't find one. Dunno what causes it. Pain in the butt when it does though.

Thanks,

I didn’t know for sure if I could say things like pain in the butt…………some forum rules. I’m ex-military so I have a lot of colorful language for stuff like this (and as I remember, there’s plenty of it) but I think I’d best reframe. Anyway, I’m still hoping some grand ACad wizard will have more answers.

Sounds like you need to deny the cadtergeist admin authority in your users privileges on your computer. Hope they haven't locked you out of your administrator status. Sounds like what 'the Wiz' (Jack's new CB handle?) said seems right, as if the system thinks the file is still open and being accessed by another user. Are you networking with the little munchkins? Perhaps you need to be sure to LOG THEM OFF before you start using the program. :beer:

Thanks,

I didn’t know for sure if I could say things like pain in the butt…………some forum rules. I’m ex-military so I have a lot of colorful language for stuff like this (and as I remember, there’s plenty of it) but I think I’d best reframe. .....

Shoot, I'm retired Military my mouth is a rainbow of colors but with the new don't ask don't tell rule I refrain from using anything about rainbows. I don't want to hurt somebodies feelings. :?

Look for the dwl file extensions, your system may not be deleting them or see if the WhoHas.arx is running when you start up AutoCAD.