Attribute Definitions

BeauAustin

It sounds as though you want to make these attributes "dynamic" which I would think is not possible.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I took a quick look at fields in attributes and nothing jumped out at me, sounds more like dynamic behavior to me too. Once your block is dynamic, new doors are opened.

I am setting up some dynamic blocks that when placed in a drawing you are prompted to enter the data for that symbol. As in any drawing some symbols have to be rotated to a certian angle. I want the data to rotate with it but keep the font straight or 90 degrees counter clockwise.

Lee Mac has a custom lisp routine that allows for the redirection of attributes in a block after it has been placed in a drawing.

Yeah I know you can dbl click on the attribute and manipulate it, I didn't know if you could set it up that way.

I'm also haveing trouble with scaling a pipe. I've drawn a pipe and made it a block and have spent hours trying to get it to lengthen and shorten by adding the scaling parameter to it. I know I've taken all the proper steps to make this happen but every time I test it the pipe just slides back and forth. The side that I want to anchor, won't. Is there some setting in properties I'm overlooking?

Re: pipe block. What size pipe? Do you have a block for each different size of pipe or does this dynamic block also allow for sizing the pipe diameter as well?

One diameter, just need it in specific lengths, ie: 2', 4', 6'.....

I know how to set it up in properties for each increment but it does me no good if the base end doesn't stay put.

Why does it have to be dynamic if all you are doing is adjusting the length? It could be a normal block that upon insertion you assign a different scale factor to "X" and leave both "Y" and "Z" at their default value of "1".

I'm setting up a ton of symbols for a guy that knows CAD but not in depth and I'm trying to make it as easy a possible for him to get the length he wants.

I just figured out what was going on.

He sent me a block in a block in an xref so I had to explode it a few time to get it to work.

Thanks for the help anyway, I thought I was going crazy.

Yes, I could see where that might happen. I was starting to go a bit crazy myself. But if this guy is so CAD challenged then how do you expect him to be able to work with dynamic blocks?

As long as the pipe length, when the block is created, is set to a value of "1" and the pipe diameter is drawn correctly, when inserted as a normal block your guy would just have to do the math. He can multiple two numbers can't he? And what's he going to do if he has a length of pipe that is 5'-3 3/8" long? Does your dynamic block take into account odd and fractional lengths?