sharpen square hole in cylinder

petryad

I made a cylinder with 4 square holes as following

How can i sharpen the square holes in this cylinder without causing any bump?

I've tried to connect the extra line everywhere i can think of...

but in the end they're always look bumpy

Any help please...D5.jpg

D4.jpg

D1.jpg

D3.jpg

D2.jpg

I try to sharp the hole edges by adding extra lines for this is high polygon modeling. Just don't have clue how to manage the vertical extra lines well..so the result show no more bump

recreate the shape from the original cylinder, but this time add more segments that go in the XY direction, dont worry about the segments on top.

that should solve the issue.

Thanks a bunch for the heads up guys.:)

I think for a model with less segment like this, surely more geo will lead to a better result. Only i'm thinking when you have to do subd model that must started with 54 seg because you have to (to follow the reference shape), that will give us different problem where more geo is a no more the answer, yes?

Thanks a bunch for the heads up guys.:)

I think for a model with less segment like this, surely more geo will lead to a better result. Only i'm thinking when you have to do subd model that must started with 54 seg because you have to (to follow the reference shape), that will give us different problem where more geo is a no more the answer, yes?

im not sure what you are asking,

:unsure:

Only i'm thinking when you have to do subd model that must started with 54 seg because you have to (to follow the reference shape), that will give us different problem where more geo is a no more the answer, yes?

Do you have an example of a model like that? :unsure:

This is a model i've been doing for practice.

1. frame

As shown in my pics (ex 1&2), to build a frame part, 52 width segs is the only amount to go with. You see how it match the ref. well. So add more geo will means double it to 104. But then hard moment comes when it's time to add supporting edges. I've also inserted project file of how i solved them in different ways. I don't think any of these efforts show pretty result.

2. motor case

How should i start to model the motor case? It has vertical little vents to do and I think it'll be wrong to begin with 130 sides of cylinder (ex 3)

Please do correct me if i'm done wrong, still developing with max though. Any input might helpful.

project files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j4z82795u4bl3kc

ex 3.jpgpencil.pngpencil.png

ex 2.jpg

T2b view.jpg

T2D212_4_l.jpg

T2D4.jpg

t2dw.jpg

t2-bottom.jpg

ex 1.jpg

This is a model i've been doing for practice.

2. motor case

How should i start to model the motor case? It has vertical little vents to do and I think it'll be wrong to begin with 130 sides of cylinder (ex 3)

Please do correct me if i'm done wrong, still developing with max though. Any input might helpful.

project files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j4z82795u4bl3kc

[/img]

:facepalm:

your units??

are you using generic?

you can model the motor case using a line..

just create half of the profile meaning...

look at it from the front and create the outside profile from the center out..

next use loft modifier and move its axis to center and then convert it to editable poly.

what the loft will do is create an empty cylindrical shell using the profile you created.. it will take the spline and revolve it while making geometry .. then add a shell modifier and you decide on inner or outer.

what the loft will do is create an empty cylindrical shell using the profile you created.. it will take the spline and revolve it while making geometry

I think you mean "Lathe" modifier, not "Loft" modifier.

I think you mean "Lathe" modifier, not "Loft" modifier.

Bloody hell that's the last time i copy and paste...

i knew exactly what to do to create his motor thing.. but i just copied a quick quote from a tutorial that better explains it... :facepalm: