Mathematical Question

bbankston

I have a rectangle that is 100 x 144 inches. I need to find out the longest rectangle that I can make from it.

So far, the longest and widest (widest?) that I've found is 147.75 x 30.9 inches. I must hold the 147.75 but I need it to be wider than 30.9 inches. What's the best way to do this?

Here's how I've been doing it:

I draw the block (100 x 144)

I make a circle with a radius of 147.75

I move the center of the circle in various places on the block and find the tangents of circle to block

I then make right angles and see what I've got

There must be a better way to do this.

Thank you,

Brandon (is this Trig or Geometry) Bankston

Edited by bbankston

I have a rectangle that is 100 x 144 inches. I need to find out the biggest rectangle that I can make from it.

Isn't the biggest rectangle that can be created from a 100x144 rectangle, well a 100x144 rectangle? I must be missing something.

Is this a trick question? Ahh, I see - you want the longest - not the largest (area).

If you have access to a later version with parametric constraints.

Rectangle.gif

JD Mather,

I appreciate the quick response but I do not believe that I have parametric constraints associated with my version of CAD.

As I've stated the larger rectangle in the block must be 147.75 in length but how do I figure the width?

JD Mather,

Did you just use your parametric constraints to figure that out or is there some formula that you have readily available? I'm hoping for the latter.

I only ask because I have to do this every so often and I was hoping you CAD gurus would have a quick solution (or formula) that could help.

Again, I really do appreciate y'alls help.