Autocad 13 - Other drawing windows

Jay Hatfield

I'm trying to convert over to Autocad 2013 and also trying to convert over to the ribbon interface. Bad idea? Already have a couple minor issues.

1) If i have multiple windows open, how do i display them without minimizing the current window since there is not a window button.

2) If i'm copying a cad drawing to an older version it pastes as an image file. Is there a way to get it to copy over as a drawing.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay Hatfield

• ReMark

• rkent

• amarcon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So you would like to see them tiled across the bottom of your screen?

I copy and paste between new/old versions on a weekly basis and at no time do the "copies" come in as "images". Are you sure you are using the Copy/Paste feature and not something else?

The Ribbon is not a bad idea it is just an idea that is not universally embraced by all. Nothing unusual about that. Might as well learn to utilize it as who knows how long pull-down menus and toolbars will stick around.

positive, just tried again copying from 2013 to 2009 and it pasted as a image block asking for OLE text. I see you are using 2012? Maybe it's with 2013 only or there's a setting i need to change

Hmmm....I just opened three drawings using AutoCAD 2011 and each shows up as a separate icon in my Taskbar. You have nothing showing?

For arranging the opened drawings on your Taskbar, in a line, set the system variable TASKBAR to a value of "1". Do this at the command line.

downconvert.jpg here are a couple of screen shots, to help explain maybe. All im trying to do is copy a drawing over, used a box for example, but it does this with any drawing.

window copy.jpg

The first image is just showing you, out of the box autocad 2013, without changing any of the default settings. I guess i've wasted half a day and maybe i should just import my settings rather then deal with the learning curve of ribbons and this newer interface. Thoughts?

cool, thanks Remark, didn't know how to do that, but that's not what i'm trying to do. I need to view windows within the drawing. For example, if you look at the second image i posted if you click on "WINDOW", IT will show the drawings with their names. It's easier for me to navigate that way. Your way would be a good alternative, i guess...

You should carry forward any customizations you may have made in the previous version that you think you'll want to retain. It's called "migrate". You are usually given the option to do so the first time you run a new release.

See that big red letter "A" in the upper left hand corner of your screen? Click on the downward pointing black arrow to the right. Up comes a list of the last nine recently opened drawings. Is that what you are searching for?

lol, no but thanks ReMark. This is ridiculous. I should have just stuck with Vanilla Cad. Do you use the ribbon or just import old settings? I'm wondering if this is going to backfire. Half a day now and counting. :|

I just use the key combo of Ctrl+Tab to page between drawings if there are only a handful.

I use a customized version of the Ribbon that has most of the commands that I use on a daily basis. It saves a lot of time.

And yes, there are customizations that I do migrate over between releases.

I understand about migrating settings over. I was trying to embrace the changes and try them out, see if maybe they are worthwhile. Finding out just the opposite and they aren't worth a cent. I'll probably be migrating my old settings back unless somebody can convince me to use the ribbon interface, QUICK. Also, anybody use autocad 2013 and no why drawings down convert to objects-images?

I understand, but what if there's 10 drawings and you want to be able to select a specific one? I like the old way, but VIEW->SWITCH WINDOWS seems to be good enough. That's also cool

The Ribbon does take some getting used to. I too complained early on but I slowly converted over so you are preaching to the choir, reverend.

I cannot see any reason why objects copied from AutoCAD 2013 should mysteriously "down convert" to an image.

that's the thing, it's not even an object. If i draw anything, a couple of lines or whatever it does that into the older version