Layout Vpfreeze

Shoey

Hi All,

When I use the LAYFRZ command (with Settings for the viewport option set to VPFREEZE) in a paper space viewport it freezes the layer within that viewport. Great.

When I use the LAYFRZ command on a object in paper space layout (not in a viewport), it freezes the layer globally. I would like it to freeze the layer like if it was in a viewport. The layout is in effect a viewport as you have the VPlayer column in the layer manager. I can vpfreeze the layer manually through Layer Manager but I would like to do it by selecting objects.

Does anyone know of why it does this? Is there a variable or similar?

Many Thanks

Shoey

You are dealing with two fundamentally different uses of the same command...

Inside the viewport you are simply freezing the layer within THAT viewport. This is actually a VERY useful feature, as you have noted.

However, outside the viewport you are making global changes. Layouts are not VP's. Hence, the ability to have multiple VPs in one layout. I suppose you could request Autodesk develop a 'by-layout view' set of layer commands...but why? That would result in a HUGE file to keep track of every layer in each and every layout view.

I am not sure how one would benefit from what you are describing. Please help me see the benefit.

Thanks for your replies.

Please don't tell me you have a layer that is used in BOTH model and paper space.

No - but I have seen this happen, especially when standards require annotation in paper space and users deciding to also annotation in model space!

This is a method of layer freezing I have not practised and has bill_borec quotes

That would result in a HUGE file to keep track of every layer in each and every layout view.

What has happened is that we have inherited a bunch of DWG file with many multiple layout tabs. Each of these tabs has a Xref which contains the drawing frame, legend, key plan, notes etc. (Not really set-up well in my opinion). Amendments are required to these drawings where objects placed on layers in the xref need freezing in a specifc layout tab but still need to be shown in the remainder of the layout tabs.

By using LAYFRZ and selecting the nested XREF entity, the layer is frozen across all layout tabs and not for that layout only.

I could redefine the XREFS and reorganise the drawings better but that would take longer. But has mentioned, would improve layer management.

Many Thanks

Shoey