Locking Layers

crackils

Hello, I have a question regarding AutoCAD 2012 and when it comes to locking layers.

When working on the basement layer I would like to see that layer locked in turn not affecting my other layers, ie: my house/garage/second-floor.

Any help would be much obliged!

Welcome to the forum. :)

Why would it affect the others? If they are on different layers you should be able to lock any of them independently, without affecting your other layers.

It sounds to me like if you want to WORK on the basement layer that it should be UNLOCKED, and all of the others should be LOCKED.

Perhaps what you meant to say was that when you had FINISHED working on the basement layer?

Thank you for the welcome!

I have these issues that occur:

*My layouts next to my modle keep ending up being the same, when I need the layers in one layout to stay so that the other layouts dont change so that I can have differnt objects in differnt layouts.

Then also am i able to have 2 different view ports in 1 lay out and am I able to lock a layout by itself without locking all the rest of them?

Thanks again!

The 'layouts' of which you speak are really viewports in your modelspace, and are merely different ways to look at the same things, from different perspectives. They could be in separate SAVED VIEWS in modelspace, in which case you could apply different viewport layer and visibility settings, as well as layer filters which can be applied in the VIEW DIALOG, when setting up named views, and called LAYER SNAPSHOTS there. In your paperspace, you probably already have different viewports, each of which can have distinct display characteristics, such as VIEWPORT FREEZE for instance.

Alright, that helps immensely!

Another question if you wouldn't mind answering. For 3d designs is it possible to get a camera snap shot and put it in the layout? If so, how would I go about doing this?

You have a little homework to do. I have circled items that will be of particular interest to you on the VIEW toolbar in the image.

Note that one of the options available when you are setting up a NAMED VIEW is your choice of a PARALLEL or PERSPECTIVE view.

Adjust the layers in your display before saving the view, then those settings will be reflected in the LAYER SNAPSHOT, so whenever you want to display it, those layer settings will be restored within that view.

You have homework views.jpg

Re: camera snap shot.

Are you asking if it is possible to insert an image in AutoCAD as part of a background for instance?