32 bit to 64 bit.

Squirrel Cottage

Hi Team

I trust you are all well and in good spirits.

I am about to give some TLC to my computer and among other things I am going from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Will my existing AutoCAD 2011 32 bit work with a 64 bit machine ?

As I recall ReMark, you use LONGBOW to facilitate, which looks like a great bit of software, although I haven't used it, but perused their website after you mentioned it.

Or is this just an X86 install situation?

No I don't use Longbow but it is one option.

I use Windows XP Mode. Read this...http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have the same issue -- trying to install ACAD 2007 on a 64-bit Win7 computer. I currently have ACAD 2004 installed in Virtual PC Windows XP mode but the redraw time are ridiculously slow.

I was hoping the 2007 version would work on Win 7 but it soudns like not. I am open to using Longbow Converter but the fact that I am unable to find reviews online by people who have actually installed it makes me leery. Never installed anything that has no online reviews. Anyone had experience with it or know where I can find reviews?

Thanks!

What version of Windows 7 are you running?

I have 2004 running on one Win7 computer and 2007 running on another. One system uses the Pro version while the other is running Ultimate.

Do you have SP1 loaded for Win7 as well?

Win 7 Pro SP1

You have 2004 and 2007 installed with Virtual PC? Or directly in the Win 7? I'm not completely savvy about such things so my lingo may be a bit off...

Thanks for responding!

I would always go with 64bit, now question... If anything just for the memory allocation. A large assembly file or DWG/s can eat up 3Gigs of 32bit RAM fast.

I would always go with 64bit, now question... If anything just for the memory allocation. A large assembly file or DWG/s can eat up 3Gigs of 32bit RAM fast.

I don't think my files are particularly large. I can't check right now but will respond with KBs later. My Acad versions are both 32bit. I would have said that earlier but I didn't think Acad 2007 was available in 64bit.

I'll have to educate myself on this usage of memory for 32bit programs on 64bit systems.

Its been my experience that 32 bit apps will run on 64 bit OS but not vice-versa. A 32 bit OS will run on a 64 bit machine. If you want to run a 64 bit app you will need a 64 bit computer and a 64 bit OS.