Linking text in AutoCAD

Phil-Bert

Hello everyone,

I have searched other threads and not found out what I am looking for, maybe I just missed it. But here is my question:

I am creating a border and making it attributed. I have the drawing number showing up in the title block and in the opposite corner of the page. I want to link the two somehow so that when one is edited the other automatically changes to match. Is this possible to do?

Thanks,

its not easy but it is possible. A few methods have been described here but I have found them more trouble than just typing the numbers again. We don't have that problem as we use the drawing number as the filename and that can be displayed as a field in several places.

Thanks dbroada,

I thought that it may be more trouble that it was worth, but I knew if it could be done this was the place to look.

Thanks again.

Fields are the way to go here. Make one attribute editable - make the other a non editable attribute, which contains a Field which is referencing the first attribute... 'm sure that you'll get it :)

Fields are the way to go here. Make one attribute editable - make the other a non editable attribute, which contains a Field which is referencing the first attribute... 'm sure that you'll get it :)
unless things have changed since I tried this with 2008, you could only link to the first attribute at design stage. Once you inserted the block the link was broken and had to be recreated. I consider doing this no easier than typing it in twice.

We don't have that problem as we use the drawing number as the filename and that can be displayed as a field in several places.

I really like this technique, and have pushed for it, but it has been rejected. What's not to like?

It seems to me there is much to be said for accuracy and consistency. :thumbsup:

Another good way to go, in my work, is that the name of the file is derived from the name of an entity in modelspace.

Meaning that if somehow the wrong 3D model has been inserted and detailed in the drawing, it will be revealed when applied to the name of the drawing.

I really like this technique, and have pushed for it, but it has been rejected. What's not to like?

much of our work is very derivative, most things are "like" something we have done before so a file is often copied. We have always had the filename displayed somewhere on the drawing and I pushed to have it linked as a field. There were some objections - mostly from people who didn't have to use it - but we have lost so much time modifying the wrong drawing when people failed to update the filename. So easy now.

Our cadfile & drawing number are usually the same but now our blocks have the drawing number as an attributed field just in case the client insists on a new number and the filename is hard coded in a piece of MTEXT that cannot be changed accidentaly.