properly scaling drawing from PDF?

AutoNewbie

OK guys I need a way to properly scale a drawing that I've pulled into AC..

Example, I get a drawing for customer in PDF that I have to trace into AC. Said PDF is marked 1/4 = 1. Up to this point I've been guessing at accuracy by measuring doors to 3'. I know this cannot be the prefered way, somebody please help me out.... :?

If the PDF was made to scale, then using a scale factor of 48 for 1/4" plans will put it at the "correct" scale.

If the PDF was made to scale, then using a scale factor of 48 for 1/4" plans will put it at the "correct" scale.

That is assuming the 'customer' didn't select Display, Extents, or Window, when plotting to some random paper size.

If the pdf was plotted to scale, I'd first scale/stretch/shrink the PDF to a full size rectangle to match the document paper size, then apply the 48x scale factor. I've had pdf's converted to raster images not insert at their actual size. For instance, one I just converted from a 24x36 pdf to a 24x36 jpg, came in at 2.85 feet x 1.75 feet using insert > raster image reference.

It is coming in to a civil ingineering drawing with inseretion units set to feet, dimension units set to feet, precision 1.0000.

Edited by Dana W

That is assuming the 'customer' didn't select Display, Extents, or Window, when plotting to some random paper size.

If the pdf was plotted to scale, I'd first scale/stretch/shrink the PDF to a full size rectangle to match the document paper size, then apply the 48x scale factor.

I think you mean if it was not plotted to scale then you would have to go through that exercise. No need to do all that if you can verify that it was plotted to scale.

I think you mean if it was not plotted to scale then you would have to go through that exercise. No need to do all that if you can verify that it was plotted to scale.

Right, that's what I meant to say. Say, is you a English teacher? :lol:

I went back and edited in a question while you were typing. Am I missing a day of AutoCad class too?

Funny, I was wondering if english was your second language.

Hey, I knows my werds reel good!;)

Are there ways to import/insert a pdf that 2009 LT does not have? Is that why I have to convert mine to a raster before I can bring a pdf into my dwg?

Yes, I think it started with 2011.
OK, thanks. Now, I seem to remember it's in express tools, which 2009 LT does not have.

Come to think of it, English is my second language. Redneck is my first.

so is the drawing to scale or not OP then we/someone can help you

Dana it dont matter what you first Language is, you still female and that helps

btw do you rednecks wear a designer bib & brace overall to work ? lol

when you going to use your picture instead of that dog it looks so sad ?

Edited by daft vader

so is the drawing to scale or not OP then we/someone can help you

Dana it dont matter what you first Language is, you still female and that helps

btw do you rednecks wear a designer bib & brace overall to work ? lol

when you go to use your picture instead of that dog it looks so sad ?

Well, here's your rude awakening for the day.:lol:

I ain't no dadgum female, and my favorite dee ziner is Ron Barret.

I cain't post no picher of me, I'm in the witless protecshun program.

The dog don't look sad. She is in dragon mode. She looks evil.:shock:

Here's the full scale version. Skuze the photoshop eyes. They are really two colors, brown & blue. There was just rampant redeye goin on, so I repaired 'em.

Oh i'm sorry I just thought you were a Lady seeing your name was Dana W ?

Thats one mean looking dog BTW

MeasuredLength*sf=DesiredLength

therefore

sf=DesiredLength/MeasuredLength

sf=scale factor

Insert image

Draw line over a known length (like dimensioned line or something of a standard size if not dimensioned - this is your DesiredLength)

Dimension the line - this is your MeasuredLength

Plug into the formula, scale and recheck.

Back when I was in school this was taught to 14 or 15 year olds.

Algebra used to be required knowledge to get into college (or design professions).

I find it rather astonishing how often scaling questions come up here on a design forum.

When I type up something like this I always worry that I'll make a simple mistake and need a flame suite, but isn't it easy enough to check?

Oh i'm sorry I just thought you were a Lady seeing your name was Dana W ?

Thats one mean looking dog BTW

Yeah well, my momma had a crush on Dana Andrews, the actor from the '40s when I was born. What can I say.

Daisy only looks tough. She's a lover, not a fighter. Not a mean molecule in her, anywhere.

Yeah well, my momma had a crush on Dana Andrews, the actor from the '40s when I was born. What can I say.

Daisy only looks tough. She's a lover, not a fighter. Not a mean molecule in her, anywhere.

Download the Program Print to Cad and convert the PDF to an Autocad drawing, we use it at my office and it works great.

Brian

Download the Program Print to Cad and convert the PDF to an Autocad drawing, we use it at my office and it works great.

Brian

:unsure: :? :unsure: Not sure what that has to do with Dana Andrews and Pit Bulls...:lol::lol: What was this thread about anyway?

And then fix it all anyway, would be the next step. Those conversion programs leave a big pile of disjointed lines, sometimes even the text.