Help me with drafting standards

jholley7390

We are trying to create some new drafting standards, and I have been given the task of locating ANSI standards for structural drafting..... Can anyone help with this? Do these exsist? I have searched the ANSI site but not exactly user friendly

Perhaps you'd get more answers if your thread's header is more descriptive.

Anyhow, what type of "standards" are you referring to? Is it stuff like CAD standards? For these there are numerous alternatives around, especially if your drawings are international - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAD_standards

Or is it stuff like what will be shown on which drawing & how would it be indicated? E.g. in my country structural drawings are usually drawn as if a section plane is cut through just above the floor slab, everything happening below the slab is shown in dashed lines (as if you're viewing through the slab to hidden items looking downwards). In another country (where one of my projects is currently running) the convention is to cut just below the slab then view upwards - i.e. everything below the slab is solid lines, while everything above it is dashed.

Well no offense but I am pretty sure I could not have been "more specific" than ANSI standards. IN the US every draftsman is taught about ANSI unfortunately I have not seen or dealt with ANSI standards in over 17 years

Well no offense but I am pretty sure I could not have been "more specific" ....

The problem was your problem description title, "Help!"

It has since been edited to help others searching here in the future.

...you'd get more answers if your thread's header is more descriptive.

Is that hard to understand?

Maybe you'll find this of some use. A simple Internet search would do the trick.

[ATTACH]34639[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately it is not as simple as an internet search, as I have tried that already. And yes I had already found the document that you had suggested but I was unable to find a reference as to where that document originated from. And I am looking for a specific ANSI standards

Sorry, but I'm still a bit stumped. If that document doesn't suffice, you're after stuff like layers and such. That one gives you quite clear descriptions of what the final deliverable should look like. AFAIK there's no such thing as an "ANSI" CAD standard per say: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/CAD-Managers/Is-there-an-ANSI-CAD-standard/td-p/727609

Though it does mention in that thread about the US National CAD Standards: http://www.nationalcadstandard.org/ncs5/

Of course you're still free to choose any of the other CAD standards like those in the wikipedia page I linked in my previous post, or even just designing your own. As long as your references / text / line thicknesses / layout / drawing numbering / etc. adhere to the ANSI document.

When asking for a "standard" it's a situation of asking: "How long is a string?" You need to specify what you're trying to standardize, up to what limit where freedom starts to become a drafter's choice. What is the purpose you're after for your drawings? Are you simply going to issue hard-copies to a contractor, or are you required to issue soft-copies to some governmental institution which has it's own stipulated requirements, or somewhere in between those two extremes? How much inter-operating with other consultants do you foresee, how much do you want your drawings to tie into theirs without modifications?

The problem was your problem description title, "Help!"

It has since been edited to help others searching here in the future.

That's true. I changed the thread title, and I use to post a short message when I do so. It seems that this time I forgot that -sorry guys!