Autocadd Not displaying saved file

Keeri21

Hey everyone,

Need some immediate and quick help. This is actually for a friend.

My friend was working on a file and did certain amount of work and then saved it. After an hour when he opened it again, all the work that he did was not showing. But it shows up in the preview icon of the autocadd file.

As such no layer is frozen/hidden/locked.

is there nething that anyone could suggest to either retrieve what is lost or try to find it if it is hidden !?!?

He has been working on it for a VERY VERY long time and its all lost...PLEASE HELP..

Thanks in advance,

keerthana

The preview is just an image embedded in DWG - it may not reflect the content in some cases.

That drawing either had errors, so the work was lost or it may be that was linked as xref (external reference) and your friend forgot to send the referenced file along.

To be sure, can you post that trouble-maker drawing here?

When you save a file AutoCAD should display where it is being saved.

Has your friend done a search of his entire hard drive for the file via Explorer?

damn it...somehow i am not able to upload the file..:(...

really hope thats not the case though :P !!!

and yes he did try to find it in his hard drive...

the thing is, there are some random things missing from his file from what he had worked on before...

It just cannot be found anywhere...is there any thing such hidden lines/layers/blocks/objects etc...

As he is just learning autocadd, there might have been something he did by mistake that could have made this happen :/...??

That can be many things to prevent you from seeing some entities – frozen or off layer, drawing switched to Paper Space mode... But in that case the preview image will reflect the situation inside drawing.

Is there a BAK file for this drawing or doesn't your friend believe in having AutoCAD create them?

In Windows Folder Options does your friend have "Hide extensions for known file types" enabled by any chance?

Yeah there is a .bak file...and we did put the .dwg ext and opened it...but still the entities are missing...

as i said its the exact same problem in the link i posted...but the solution posted there doesnt seem to be working !

The proper procedure is to use the RENAME command and change the BAK extension to DWG not add it to the existing file name.

What about my other question?