insbase annoyance

cragerous

Can someone tell me if there is a variable that fixes this annoying problem! In previous CAD versions whenever i created a block and defined the insertion point. the block would insert where I defined it. However now whenever i insert a block I've defined it inserts from the 0,0,0 point inside the block which renders the defined insertion point useless. I don't want to have to keep opening up the blocks i create and using the insbase command to reset the insertion point it defeats the purpose of defining the block in the first place. Its also a nuisance moving the block from your defined point to 0,0,0 before wblocking it so it inserts correctly.

Has anyone else had this problem and is it fixable:ouch:

There is nothing wrong with my install. Seems Autodesk have added another feature that needs to be set back to default.

I use AutoCAD 2013

I'm not too sure I follow. If I understand correctly, you've made blocks previously - where you chose a insertion point while working in the BLOCK command. Now when you insert those blocks their insertion point appears as if it was like you used the default 0,0,0 when you created them using BLOCK? And the only way you can fix this seems to be using the insbase command while in BEdit mode.

I'm sorry, I haven't seen this happen before in any version of ACad up to 2012. Perhaps it's a new bug ("free" adesk "feature" :rofl:) in 2013?

I just tested this and had no problem.

I created a brand new block in AutoCAD 2012 using the WBlock command and saved it out to my Desktop in 2007 file format. I opened 2013 and used the Insert command to bring the block into a new drawing. The insertion point was the exact same one specified when the block was created (right on one of the intersections of the block itself).

Did you check in the Insert dialog box that under Insertion Point the option Specify On-screen was enabled?

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3683380215677¬if_t=video_processed Thanks guys for you help.

I always use shortcut commands to power my AutoCAD so my PGP is customised I use an ACAD.lsp file for other common functions. I also have customised macros set up with toolbars of my own blocks.

Most of the drawings i do now are in 3D.

When I set up my PGP file I set it so i dont need the dialog boxes the less clutter and speed on the job the happier I am.

So when i do a wblock i use shift ~ to invoke any dialogs to direct my blocks into respective directories.

My Insert is the same, I type 'I' the command launches and because i have a path set up for blocks in my AutoCAD options it automatically inserts whatever i type, or i envoke the shift ~.

I know of the specify on screen check box. However this has never been a problem in the past. I'm starting to wonder if the Wblock is affected when your in a different UCS (co-ordinates wise).

I have just put together an example attached I have a pole with crossarms at the top from the side of the pole I wblock all of the arms using an insertion point from the center nut of the crossarm, select objects all of the crossarm objects and they disappear.

Open a New Drawing Insert my crossarm and its 20 odd metres up on the right of my insertion. ARGGGH

Edited by cragerous
grammar

I tried the same thing but was unable to replicate the problem you are having. I even purposely changed the origin of my UCS in my 3D drawing and I was still unable to force the block insertion to land off the picked point. Sorry.

When you WBlock out a drawing it is indeed affected by the UCS. If you have it set to a non-WCS and perform the WBlock operation the current UCS becomed the WCS of the wblocked drawing.