Attribute extraction [eattext] doesn't refer to current drawing

archdake

Hello guys!

I'm trying to automate an attribute extraction in the form of a table. I create the .dxe file but when I use this template file with -eattext (or -dataextraction), in a drawing different than the one the .dxe was created in, I still get the original table and not the one with the attribute values of the curent drawing.

This was not a problem with older versions.

Any clues?

You need to check that the default is set to Current Drawing in the DataExtract dialog, not browsed to the current drawing. It's one of those pestering niggles of DE, but unfortunately you need to check this each time you create a new DE (especially when using another DXE file as template).

Otherwise you could manually edit the DXE file (it's just a normal XML file). I've done so previously to automate the process a bit.

Thank you very much for replying! :)

Do you happen to know which "line" to edit? I've opened it with notepad but couldn't make out the suspect piece of code...

It's quite annoying that you have to edit a DE when it could be only one click away otherwise...

Btw, a hint for others: If you make a .blk template [using, say ACAD 2007] the process works fine even in subsequent versions. It's r. 2008 and onwards that has this problem with .dxe creation.

Any help on the editing part?

There are about 4-5 lines with the drawing name but changing it to "current" does not work...

Thanks in advance!

No there's no such thing as "Current" in that file. That's the issue! When you pick the "Current Drawing" option in the dialog used to create the DXE, it doesn't save this option, it saves the current drawing's path & filename.

What I did was to create one DXE the normal way. Then search & replace that drawing's full path with each of the others. Every time saving as to a new DXE file. Then I could use those new files as templates to create each Data Link more efficiently. This is a real stupid idea from adesk, (as you've stated before) they had it working perfectly before - since 2008 they've completely stuffed it up!