Arc by TAN-TAN-POINT

dompie

Hi,

Is there a way in Autocad to draw an arc, tangent to two lines and trough a point? (preferably with as little actions as possible)

The radius isn't known and the angle between the lines can vary.

With the circle command it's possible to draw a circle this way but afterwards the circle can't be trimmed because it's not intersected by these lines.

I would say that the easiest way would be to draw a circle using the 3P option. The three points would be Node (to the point) and Tangent to each of the two lines, as in my picture.

I am not too sure about your last statement, because if the circle is drawn as tangential to the line, then the circle can be trimmed out from the tangential lines :D

Arc-X.jpg

Hi Eldon,

Well, a colleague of mine is used to drawing in Microstation (I know, he shouldn't :P) and things like this are done in MS with the arc command and just a few snaps so we wondered if someone knew an easy way to do this in ACAD.

I tried it with the 3P circle and for some strange reason, now and then it's not possible to trim the circle afterwards. (it's probably me but it's still strange :D)

Having used AutoCAD for a year or three, it comes quite naturally to me to think in terms of trimming a circle to make an arc in a particular situation. It seems that the arc command in AutoCAD has its shortcomings.

As far as trimming goes, if the trim does not work, I stand for no nonsense, draw a line Perp from one tangent, to the centre of the circle and Perp to the other tangent. Trim, by picking these two new lines as the cutting edges, and then picking the bits to be removed. Then finally erase, P, and the two lines vanish without having to pick them again.