SCALE command enlarge too much!

D1-Xen

When I use the "SCALE", sometimes it scales according to the size I want as in, I can drag it and control the size I want. But sometimes when I select a whole bunch of stuff, the objects just blows up even when I moved 0.5 cm of my mouse...

Any ideas why? :?

If you hope to scale accurately, you should get used to using an exact SCALE FACTOR.

Might it have to do with how far you are zoomed into or out of your drawing?

If you hope to scale accurately, you should get used to using an exact SCALE FACTOR.

Might it have to do with how far you are zoomed into or out of your drawing?

Yes, I know how to scale accurately, but that is my main question. For example, I have a drawing which takes up approximately 1/4 of an A4 page, I want to scale it so it fills the whole page. Yes, I can make it in the a multiply SCALE FACTOR of 4.

A better example will be I have a "Title Block" which I copied from an A1 ISO paper format. Scaling it down by the factor does makes the inner area drawing too small. So I want it a drag method.

If you use PS CS5, I wish it could have something like the "Transform" function. But do you get what I mean?

I want the scaling to my liking, not by scale. How do I do it? Of course, without blowing crazy...

New Text Document.png

I cant help you with why it is doing that, but I do know it will do what you saying thats why I never scale that way

Yep, annoying bug and the reason I first measure then manually enter my scale factors.

I can't write it right now, but it shouldn't be too hard to write a lisp which asks for a reference length to compare the given length with and then scales the objects accordingly.

WHT! I just dragged a tiny bit!?

Define "tiny bit"

If you're zoomed in very close, moving your mouse a "tiny bit" may be only a fraction of a unit, whereas if you're zoomed way out, moving you're mouse the same distance on the screen may be hundreds or thousands of units. I can see from dynamic input in your screencap the "tiny bit" you moved your mouse is 5.2493 units, ie a scale factor of 5.2493. The bottom line is that you CAN NOT scale accurately by dragging the mouse (eyeballing), you can only scale accurately by entering a scale factor or using OSNAPS/Reference lengths.

Perhaps the command macros shown in this thread would help:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?8142

How does the ALIGN command work?

Try the "align" command, it has an option to scale to the points you select for aligning.

Ok it works but it seems a bit tricky. I can see it in effect. But I do not see how it work. I tried playing with it, sometimes shift the object after selecting first point > Right Click.

Can you clarify CarlB explanation, so in the context of fitting something large to an A4 paper, after selecting let say a rectangle... What do I do next?

Define "tiny bit"

If you're zoomed in very close, moving your mouse a "tiny bit" may be only a fraction of a unit, whereas if you're zoomed way out, moving you're mouse the same distance on the screen may be hundreds or thousands of units. I can see from dynamic input in your screencap the "tiny bit" you moved your mouse is 5.2493 units.....

It makes sense... I see what mean.

Yep, annoying bug and the reason I first measure then manually enter my scale factors....

Ok, I thought I was the only one that had this problem. So I guess you do a simple measurement, division and math calculation before applying the scale?

If you try and use the Reference option to Scale, you will find that you have much more control in dragging to the size you wish (to echo the advice in the previous post).

The SCALE command is not difficult enough to necessitate the use of advanced techniques, take some time and learn the commands.

The command is not broken, it merely requires your undivided attention for a few minutes, a couple of tests and you will get it. :)

Edited by Dadgad

While I do believe the Align command has its place, I was actually promoting the command macros in that thread. If Scaling (or Rotating) by reference is a common action, I think you will be quite pleased with the enhanced usability offered by those macros.

Edited by SEANT
Removed information already stated in previous posts

While I do believe the Align command has its place, I was actually promoting the command macros in that thread. If Scaling (or Rotating) by reference is a common action, I think you will be quite pleased with the enhanced usability offered by those macros.

SEANT my comment was not directed to you, :beer:

clearly you know the commands and how and why they work, but rather towards the OP,

and I have the utmost faith that you are absolutely correct in your assessment.

You always come up with great explanations, suggestions and solutions, why should this time be any different?

I am a big fan of the 3D ALIGN command. :)

SEANT my comment was not directed to you, :beer:

Likewise, my post #12 was not directed exactly at you post #11. *

A response to a thread can lack perfect focus, especially when I get lazy and shirk my “Reply With Quote” duties.

* To be honest, I wasn’t sure if you were alluding to my post or not. I purposely neglected “Quoting” because my response mostly applied to post #8.

Ultimately, it's all good.8)

I hope it wasn't directed at me either :cry:

Nor was it directed towards either of the other 'usual suspects' both of whom would seem to fit the profile of exemplary command fluency, lucidity

and general excellence. :beer:

Reading SEANT's post I thought that perhaps my post had been misconstrued, as opposed to just plain rude, :) and offense taken which was

definitely not my intention.