Help......PC is so slow when working in 3D

Currahee

I am so frustrated this morning...I am working a very simple cabinet I am building and cant do hardly any work in 3D. I am working in AutoCAD 2010 and editing my drawing with the object lines hidden....I cant even run the mouse across the screen because the crosshairs feel like they are like a half a second behind where I am currently pointing. My PC isnt sluggish anywhere else, only when I am working in 3D. Can anyone make any suggestions?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Currahee

• ReMark

• f700es

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it only this one particular 3D drawing you're having the problem with?

What have you done so far to troubleshoot the problem?

Is it only this one particular 3D drawing you're having the problem with?

What have you done so far to troubleshoot the problem?

No its all drawings. I have purge the drawing, turned off the cursor screen prompts and turned off all materials and hid all layers that I didnt need at the time...other than that I am still shooting for the moon

And this just started happening today?

Have you tried shutting down the computer then starting it up again?

And this just started happening today?

Have you tried shutting down the computer then starting it up again?

Oh no...its been doing it...but before when doing any work in 3D I would go to my AutoCAD 2007. But now since I have AutoCAD 2012 (which is worse than the 2010) I have since deleted the 2007. And yes I have done all the memory dumping routines.

You're running a 32-bit version of 2012 on the computer specs listed under "Computer Details" below your avatar?

You're running a 32-bit version of 2012 on the computer specs listed under "Computer Details" below your avatar?

yep I am..

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that your hardware is no longer up to the demands of your software. It might be time to upgrade.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that your hardware is no longer up to the demands of your software. It might be time to upgrade.

I agree...you think if I went with a better video card it would hep

No. I think you need a full system upgrade. Feel free to ignore that advice as it is your money not mine but I think purchasing another video card is not going to solve your problem since most of your work seems to be done in 3D.

No. I think you need a full system upgrade. Feel free to ignore that advice as it is your money not mine but I think purchasing another video card is not going to solve your problem since most of your work seems to be done in 3D.

Well since I cant go to 64 bit and I am already maxxed out on memory with the 32 bit, and I "feel" like the CPU is adequate...other than that what would you suggest..I dont mind building another PC but if I do I want to make sure whatever I do solves my problem.

Did you check Autodesk for latest driver for your current card?

didnt know you could do that

Why can't you go 64-bit? As far as I know both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions ship on the installation CD.

bcause I so many programs that CAN'T RUN on 64

didnt know you could that

I think you just forgot. Run the 3DCONFIG command. When the dialog box comes up click on the "Check for Updates" button.

I think you just forgot. Run the 3DCONFIG command. When the dialog box comes up click on the "Check for Updates" button.

oh yeah...LOL

Ok...The driver was out of date...do I need to re-boot to install new driver?

bcause I so many programs that CAN'T RUN on 64

Then you get Windows 7 Pro or ultimate SP1 and you run them in XP Mode or use an aftermarket program such as Longbow to run them.

Ok...The driver was out of date...do I need to re-boot to install new driver?

I would follow the manufacturer's (nVidia's) recommended procedure for installing a new graphics driver.