lockout

outofpocket

Dear forum members, this is my first post after 20 years of using autodesk software. I purchased 2008 inventor suite for my small business in 2007 and have been using this version ever since, tho I use only the Mechanical software. When my free upgrade to 2009 arrived late in 2008 I installed and registered it but continued to use 2008 mechanical.

Some weeks ago my hard drive fried and I had new fitted running Win7 and have installed 2008 mech. This is were my troubles begin, as Autodesk flatly refuse to allow me to re-register this product stating "As per the Autodesk license agreement, once the new version has been activated, you have a limited period of time to finish using the old version. Thereafter you must remove it from the system."

I feel pretty ripped off as I paid around $10,000 for the licence in 2007 and feel I should be able to use what I own!

Any ways around this? icon5.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• nestly

• sparkyuk

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any way around this. AutoDesk sold you a license to use its product under a strict set of rules which you are now trying to circumvent. You can try contacting your authorized reseller or AutoDesk directly but don't expect much in the way of assistance or sympathy.

If they sent you a "free upgrade" that means you were on subscription, right? I believe Subscription should allow you to have both versions installed.

It is not my impression that the OP is still on Subscription, however I've never seen anything (including the documents referenced above) that indicates the Previous Version provision of the Subscription agreement becomes invalid if Subscription is not maintained.

Didnt the update incude Mechanical software 2009 then ?

I think if you paid for any software and didnt update it, you should still be able to be used it for ever and ever and to say you can not seems wrong to me

"shame on you autocad" call them up OP and state your case the message you are getting is a auto responce and you may find they might agree with you

I think if you paid for any software and didnt update it, you should still be able to be used it for ever and ever and to say you can not seems wrong to me

I think the OP did "update" by installing/activating the 2009 version(s), and I'm under the impression those work... he just can't activate the 2008 version(s).

If you are not on Subscription or your subscription has expired I believe the user can maintain the use of the previous version for no more than 30 days after the newest version has been installed.

Upon further research, it would appear that I was mistaken.

17. How long does Previous Version use last?

The Subscription customer may exercise the Previous Version use rights specified in the Subscription

terms and conditions for a given Autodesk product so long as that product remains on Subscription.

Please see question 19, below, for a discussion of what happens when a customer’s Subscription lapses.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/subctr/pdfs/previous_versions/faq/PV_FAQ_eng.pdf

In any event, I don't think the OP is "outofpocket" because they purchased a license for 2008 which was subsequently upgraded to license for 2009 by installing/activating the "free upgrade". Now if neither version can be installed/activated, then that's a problem that Autodesk needs to help resolve.

And I believe that AutoDesk will not allow the re-installation of 2008 nor will they assist the OP in doing so. I guess we will have to wait and see.

"shame on you autocad" call them up OP and state your case the message you are getting is a auto responce and you may find they might agree with you

I agree with you Sparky I think they should help out, it is a genuine mistake.

SHAME ON YOU AUTOCAD.

Install the 2009 version and move on. I highly doubt that you are going to get AutoDesk to budge on allowing you to load the 2008 version instead. Salvage what you can.

ReMark, there are legitimate reasons for wanting to revert back to a previous version. I'm sympathec to the OP's situation, as I myself still use 2011 because I'm dissatisfied with 2012 and 2013. I didn't know that I would be dissatisfied until after I loaded them, but according to Autodesk, once you "upgraded" you're stuck with the newer version even if there are documented bugs in the new version that cause it to be less usable than what you were using.

A user should be able to revert if they like the old version better. I do agree that the OP is probably not going to have any success with Autodesk, but it's still a lousy policy.

what difference will it make if you are using the old version you have paid for as well as the new, its not like its installed on another computer is it ? what a stupid policy Autocad

what difference will it make if you are using the old version you have paid for as well as the new, its not like its installed on another computer is it ? what a stupid policy Autocad

Exactly, You paid for the "upgrade" whether by purchasing it as an "Upgrade" or as a "free" benefit of paying for a Subscription. Why should they care if you choose not to use it?

... and on the subject of lousy policies... yesterday they released SP2 for AutoCAD2012, but they have intentionally elected NOT to advertise what the service pack is supposed to do.

So this SP for 2012 is released 2 months after they start trying to push everyone to 2013?

While I do feel some sympathy for the OP and his situation I do not agree that there is a legitimate reason to revert back to 2008. The OP should load 2009 and all updates along with any applicable hot-fixes. AutoDesk has no legal or moral obligation to support a piece of software that dates back to 2008. What documented bugs exist in the 2009 version of the software that were never fixed?

I believe that the way the EULA is written your license is transferred forward to the new release therefore your old release is not legally licensed for use after the 30-day time limit expires.