Layer Change

nicbazwilly

Morning all, hope we are well. After much searching i finally feel the need to post a question to you, it's really hurting my head.

Something so simple as highlighting all layers in a section and changing onto a different layer! When i do this not all the layers change. Explode explode explode.... Change layer! No success.

I must be doing something wrong. I have to currently select in small sections to change layer and colour etc. It seems when i select too much it won't allow me to change the layers.

Thanks in advance

AC2010

What happens exactly that it won't allow you to change layers when you select too much? Does the program freeze? Do you get an error message?

How big is the drawing file size? How many objects are you selecting at one time?

Is this happening is just one particular drawing or in all drawings you work on?

Thanks for the quick response Mark. Much appreciated.

What happens exactly that it won't allow you to change layers when you select too much? Does the program freeze? Do you get an error message?
No error, no freeze or anything like that. Acts normally in that respect. I highlight a chunk and change onto the same layer, ESC and click a single line (which hasn't changed colour) and the item is still on the original layer. I have to sort of do it in small sections of the drawing.

How big is the drawing file size? How many objects are you selecting at one time?
It's only a small drawing really, 1.1Mb. Selecting 13208 items.

Is this happening is just one particular drawing or in all drawings you work on?
All the drawings i work on.

Are you attempting to change layers that are incorporated with a number of blocks?

What are you system specs?

Some are blocks some are just lines. It's strange because when i highlight all, the layer shows the layer i have picked rather than a blank box indicating different layers. Its really strange!

Windows XP 64 bit

Intel Xenon

3.06GHz 8Gb RAM

It runs Revit MEP perfectly, so a decent Machine

You're currently using 2010, not 2008 as it says in your profile?

If you're trying to change the layer from the Ribbon, I seem to recall an issue similar to what you've described. Try making the same change from the Properties palette, and/or the Layers toolbar.... if that works, then you blame the new Ribbon Layer Control

Yes 2010. I have just updated my profile. Thanks

Ahhh the penny drops. Yes that works. Still frustrating having to change what you know and are used to!! Wonder what the problem is then?

The "Problem" is that the Ribbon is a huge resource hog. The default is only 2500 obects.... just don't make it too high or you may see a performance hit...

RIBBONCONTEXTSELLIM

Good call there nestly. :beer:

I don't think that will change the behavior of the Ribbon Layer combo control, which I believe is the limitation in this case.