Publishing PDF from AutoCAD using a PDF overlay...!!!

Gary_W

Hello,

I have a bit of an issue which I hope can be sorted?

On a set of drawings I am doing I have underlaid a selection of A4 PDF files in my A1 drawing. Everything looks perfect in model & paper space while in AutoCAD. As soon as I publish to PDF using AutoCAD the New PDF does not display the same quality as the original PDF's or as it is shown in model or paper space.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

I will try and attached screen shots below.

Cheers,

Gaz...

Original PDF.jpg

Created PDF.jpg

Hi,

Can anyone shed any light at all on this problem I'm having? any idea's at all would be welcome. Any workarounds? anyone else had/got this problem???

Really frustrating I thought I would have sussed out something by now, but nope!!! :(

Cheers,

Gaz...

(LT 2012)

I've had this issue before - and many others with AutoCAD & PDFs...

Sometimes instead of using the print icon to print/plot I find that using the PUBLISH command and then setting it to PDF creates different (better) results.

Another thing to try is to change the DPI when printing. If you can't adjust it when you print, there is a system variable RASTERDPI. I haven't changed that in a while but I remember it helping.

Might help if you post a sample of your drawing file.

Sounds like you are already using Publish command. Have you tried the the DWG to PDF.pc3 plotter?

If I understand your situation, you're adding a PDF underlay to a drawing and then plotting that same drawing to PDF. In effect, you're translating the PDF material from one format to another and then translating it back. That's what's causing the poor quality.

The obvious solution is to plot the drawing without the PDF material and then combine it with the existing PDF. You may have trouble aligning the two PDFs, but if it's text as in your example, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Thanks for the replies,

I always PUBLISH and never plot direct to PDF. It always screws up, never central on the sheet etc. I have tried changing the DPI right up, but the end result is always the same.

Printing to the PDF.pc3 plotter has the same screwed up affect as plotting direct with any PDF plotter, But the same effect happens as per my initial problems anyway.

Yes, I am adding a PDF file (8 actually) to a drawing in the same way I would attach a raster image. With the raster image the better quality I put in, the better the quality plotted. Not in this case with PDF's though!!!

The mad thing is I probably could do a screen capture of the PDF's and save as png/jpg and insert these and the end result would be 100 times better :?

I will do this as a last resort, but just find it odd the PDF will not plot at a half decent resolution...

Cheers,

Gaz...