layer manager shows only xref layers by default

uplink3d

For several releases Autocad's layer manager has shown only XREF layers in the layer manager by default. Open a drawing with Xrefs (nearly every drawing I have ever worked with) and to access the layers that are actually *in* the drawing, I must first open the layer manager, select the "Xref" filter, and check the Invert Filter box. Then I see the layers that would more logically be shown be default.

Does anyone know a way to change this so the non-Xref layers show up be default??? I am currently using Autocad Architecture 2012.

I don't know what you mean 'by default', because 'my default' (I've changed nothing) is all layers including xrefs, listed current drawing layers at the top and xrefs' layers below them. I think it's logical.

As you mentioned one can set filters to make set of layers more useful at certain task.

I've never changed anything either, I've no idea what to change! This has been the case since 2008 or so as far as I can remember. When I open a drawing the layer manager only shows XREF layers, not all layers, until I tell it to. Obviously I can keep doing that, but it is frustrating to have to do every time I open a drawing, which could be 100s a day.

It sounds like you're saving the drawing with an inverted filter applied, but AutoCAD doesn't have a setting to "remember" the invert setting from session to session, so the drawing(s) is opening with the filter applied, but not inverted.

You should add a filter that doesn't need to be inverted to hide the layers you don't want to see.... (or disable the inverted filter before closing). The easiest and most common method is to create a No Xref filter that shows only layers that does not contain (~) a pipe (|) since that symbol is common in all xref layer names.

noxref.jpg

Edited by nestly

Yes, that's what has been happening! Since I almost never start with a new drawing, the XREF filter is always there. I'll start using this layer filter, it works like a charm. Thanks! I stopped learning new tricks around acad2004 but due to a recent switch to 2012 I am on an all new learning curve. Great to have one sticky issue resolved.

Since you mentioned 100's of drawings, you may be interested to know that you can load a lisp that will automatically add that filter to each drawing you open.

Since you mentioned 100's of drawings, you may be interested to know that you can load a lisp that will automatically add that filter to each drawing you open.

100's of drawing... is it not an exaggeration?

I just wonder, what actually you can do (especially without any routine) with a drawing. It's less than 5 minutes per drawing with opening, saving and closing... Or even it's a simple thing, are you able to do it the whole day without a break...

Maybe I've been too lazy recently :oops:

I'm an illustrator, projects tend to have a Lot of base information from civil/architects. For example, today I am working between three projects, one of which contains 20 separate buildings and a site model. And I often work 12 hour days (self employed and don't know how to say no to work). So yeah, while 100s may be a slight exaggeration it often ain't too far off!

nestly, a lisp routine would be awesome if you are willing to tell me how! I haven't the first clue. If it is involved, no worries, I'll figure it out another time when there is time to spare. For now I am happy enough with this info, and I saved the filter so I can reload when I open other drawings.