What size of crosshair do you use in AutoCAD?

Blackfish

What size of crosshair do you use in AutoCAD?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What size of crosshair do you use in AutoCAD?

• 1 - 5%
    • 6 - 10%
    • 11 - 25%
    • 26 - 50%
    • 51 - 75%
    • 76 - 99%
    • 100%

What size of crosshair do you use in AutoCAD (system variable: CURSORSIZE)?

• 1 - 5%
  • 6 - 10%
  • 11 - 25%
  • 26 - 50%
  • 51 - 75%
  • 76 - 99%
  • 100%

PS. There were polls about background, block insertion points... and now another one for fun :)

Edited by Blackfish

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• irneb

• nestly

• BlackBox

• Blackfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5% - never changed from the default.

I start to itch when I have to help collegues that have it to 100% - there's enough lines on the screen anyway. Could also be that the same people have the OSnap Nearest running all the time :?

Voted for 100% - old habits and also useful as simple reference.

Yes, old habits... and reference. Do you remember BLIPMODE; at certain stage I like it and use for reference when selecting objects with W or CP

Could also be that the same people have the OSnap Nearest running all the time :?

I've recently - around 4 years :) - turned OS/NEAREST on. I've found annoying moving object flying to end or middle point. However I have PERPENDICULAR switch off and using it only from context menu (CTRL+right mouse); I couldn't understand how anything can be perpendicular when you start drawing a line, even before you show the other end of the line.

I am too used to not having to be very close to the END or MID and still get the snap I am after. When I have Nearest running, I forget that I have to be closer. I am also used to typing my snappoints almost always so it's not a big hassle to type NEA when I need it.

Perpendicular OSnap is a weird one sometimes, it's like it assumes what it's suppose to be perpendicular too - not always what you'd think..

Do you remember BLIPMODE; at certain stage I like it and use for reference when selecting objects with W or CP

For sure I remember those "flies" - another use was to distinguish between old and recently added entities.

I couldn't understand how anything can be perpendicular when you start drawing a line, even before you show the other end of the line.

The perpendicular snap tends to trump most of the others, it is very assertive. :)

It doesn't snap from the second point of a line which you are drawing, but rather from the STARTING point, which is why you see it generating a snap point BEFORE you have completed defining a line, which it is trying to HELP you define.

I have just recently memorized a few of the OSMODE values for the most common snap configurations which I use, and started entering them at the commandline as needed (6167 and 6295).

Edited by Dadgad

100% all the way.

BLIPMODE? Last time I used that the release number for AutoCAD was in the single digits. I think there was a decimal number involved too. Was it 2.5 perhaps?

I think a Perpendicular OSnap will reference the LASTPOINT system variable. Of course that location may be hard to recognize if several, non-point related operations happen in the interim.

A Perp osnap may also be deferred given the proper setup. For instance, the LINE command will allow for a deferred perp on a Line, Arc, or Circle. The XLine command will use additional curved objects (Ellipses, Splines, etc).

Note: Some of these features may not be available in earlier versions of AutoCAD.

100% crosshairs

I've been using 5% (default) Tried the 100% just now to see what the difference is. Maybe it's the number of years with 5 but it seemed like there was too much movement on the screen for me. I guess it's what you have become used to. Back to 5 for me.

I would probably be in the 100% column too, except I really like having the XYZ indicators on the crosshairs, so I'm the lonely guy right in the middle of the poll results getting the best of both worlds.

I use 2% for just about everything but I do have a "quick key" for toggling between 100% and 5%. Sometimes you need the 100% to pick window selections for stretching, etc. I used 100% for most of the years I used ACAD and about a year ago I thought I would try 5%, now I have it set to 2%. I can't stand to have 100% up for long.

Edit: With Renderman's lisp I can have the best of both worlds, 2% most of the time, 100% for the commands I specify in the lisp. Thanks again Renderman.

Edited by rkent
added words

This poll is lacking available voting options... I use both:

(defun c:CSS () (c:CursorSize))
(defun c:CursorSize  ()
 (princ "\rCURSORSIZE = ")
 (if (= 100 (getvar 'cursorsize))
   (setvar 'cursorsize 5)
   (setvar 'cursorsize 100)
   )
 )

I also recently implemented a Command Reactor that automagically changes my CursorSize from 5% to 100% only for specific commands, without having to even use the command posted above... I'll post here if others are interested.

I still use 100% ... probably just because I'm used to it, though it does help to check if stuff are aligning (though you could go and "draw" a temporary line for that). I don't know about too many lines on the DWG ... for me a line that stops somewhere on the screen means it's a line of the drawing itself, one that goes to the edge of the screen is usually the cursor. :unsure: I think shorter cursor lines confuse me, but that's probably just my "confused" mind I guess.

About the snapping, I constantly have End/Mid/Int/Node/Ins/Cen turned on. For Perp/Near/Quad/None I use Shift-RightClick or my own keyboard shortcuts on the numpad, though that one's gone out of fashion since the new polyline editing which gets interference with Ctrl and so. I do however turn on the Aperture Box so I can see where the snap is going to happen, immediately ... waiting for that popup to say that it's going to snap to the endpoint is plain time wastage.

I use 100%, because it best suits the work we do. I have a couple of people here who use 5%, but they are both young and have only worked on the recent versions of AutoCAD. Perhaps the older ones are just stuck in their ways and as a dinosaur I fall into that category.

There are several types of use for AutoCAD, for example design, and documenting things that exist. Having worked in both camps I can see the sense in using different cursor sizes, if only because the methods of drawing are different.

. . . . I do however turn on the Aperture Box so I can see where the snap is going to happen, immediately ...

Same here. And at a fairly large 12 pixel target height.

Perhaps that would be another interesting poll: What is your APERTURE variable setting?

Same here. And at a fairly large 12 pixel target height.

Perhaps that would be another interesting poll: What is your APERTURE variable setting?

Actually if you go that route, then you should include something like: Aperture On/Off/Size2-20/"What the Hell is This :shock:"

I think due to ADesk turning it off by default (APBOX=0) most newer Cadders don't even know that such exists.

BTW, due to a "very" old addon I used in the DOS days I have my Aperture=5 and my PickBox=3. The addon was a one-click fillet command, where it displayed both the apperture & pickbox at once and if you clicked on an intersection the 2 lines would be filleted along their longest portions from the intersection. And with the settings this way the double-PickBox looked & worked the best, now I'm just stuck to being used to those sizes. Fortunately my eyes are still reasonably good, so I can keep on using this finer-grained boxes.

I don't understand why the proximity setting for Pickbox and Aperture should be different. I use 6 for both.