Autocad 2005 & 2010 on same computer

gerryc

Hello,

I am new to Autocad 2010, and would like to use my old 2005 version also.

My question is, is it possible to have both programs installed?

thanks,

gerry

Yes, you can install both, but whether you'll be able to activate one or both of them depends on your licensing.

Technically speaking it is possible to have more than one version of AutoCAD on a computer. Legally speaking........well, that is a different matter as nestly has alluded to.

My question is... why? AutoCAD 2010 has everything 2005 does plus a whole 'lot more.

I can't speak for the OP, but ....

Multiple.jpg

I would have never moved up from 2005 if I had not been able to keep/use both.

And a valid response. Just as long as there's a proper motivation to keep it around then obviously I'll never disagree with it. Me personally, I'm a "dive in head first" type of guy. Gimmie the latest and greatest and let me fly, haha.

;)

On one of my previous computers I had AutoCAD 2000, 2004, 2007 and 2009 all loaded up. I kept telling myself to remove the "older" version every time I upgraded but I never listened!

My current home computer has 2004, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2013 on it. The first two are there just for giggles and for answering the rare 2004/2007 questions that pop up here.

Thanks for all the info.

The reason for keeping 2005 is that I have some projects that have to be done right away, and I don't have time for the learning curve right now.

I forgot to mention that I am using Windows 7. I read that someone had installed 2005 on Windows 7 in XP compatibility mode. I doesn't work for me. I get the following error when I try to run 2005: " FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0X0000 Exception at 623a20h". Any idea how to solve that?

thanks'

Gerry

The reason for keeping 2005 is that I have some projects that have to be done right away, and I don't have time for the learning curve right now.
What learning curve? All the same commands that are in 2005 are also in 2010. Just change your Workspace to "Classic" for the old interface you know and love. :)

Nothing has "changed" just a lot has been "added". No learning curve.

It is not enough just to have Windows 7. What version? Home Edition? Pro? Ultimate?

Another option would be to buy a program called Longbow then you should be able to run AutoCAD 2005.

Thanks. Works great, I think I can live with that. A quick question. I tryed to make an additional costum menu bar, but I can't see that option in the "Costumize user interface"

What learning curve? All the same commands that are in 2005 are also in 2010. Just change your Workspace to "Classic" for the old interface you know and love. :)

Nothing has "changed" just a lot has been "added". No learning curve.

There was definitely a learning curve for me. I used 2005 for 5 years, but I really didn't know that much about all the variables in AutoCAD. I had changed a bunch of stuff so AutoCad looked and worked the way I wanted, but when I installed 2011, I had no idea how make 2011 look and feel like I was used to.

And then there's the the toolbar button icons...... I hated those ugly bland icons... and I still hate them to this day. I could look right at a 2011 toolbar button and not recognize it. At the time, I was very busy and I just did not have the time to "mess around" getting 2011 set up where I thought I could be as productive with it as I was with 2005. It took me 3-4 months of "playing" with 2011 until I felt as comfortable with it as I did with 2005.

In the end, it was a very good thing for me because I probably learned 10x more about AutoCad in those 3-4 months than the previous 10 years, but the transition was not painless. Knowing what I know now, switching versions is no big deal, but if you put yourself in the shoes of someone that didn't even know what PICKFIRST did, I think it brings a different perspective to upgrading.

Thanks. Works great, I think I can live with that. A quick question. I tryed to make an additional costum menu bar, but I can't see that option in the "Costumize user interface"

Open the CUI, and you should see "Menu" in the upper left pane. If you expand it, you should see the existing menus (File, Edit, View etc) Right click on "Menu" and there should be an option for "New Menu" But before you do that, I dont recommend adding a custom menu to the main CUI file, instead scroll down to the bottom of that pane and add your menu in the "Custom". The reason not to customize the main CUI is because if something gets screwed up, and the CUI has to be reset, you can loose all of your customizations.

New Menu.jpg

There was definitely a learning curve for me. I used 2005 for 5 years, but I really didn't know that much about all the variables in AutoCAD. I had changed a bunch of stuff so AutoCad looked and worked the way I wanted, but when I installed 2011, I had no idea how make 2011 look and feel like I was used to.

And then there's the the toolbar button icons...... I hated those ugly bland icons... and I still hate them to this day. I could look right at a 2011 toolbar button and not recognize it. At the time, I was very busy and I just did not have the time to "mess around" getting 2011 set up where I thought I could be as productive with it as I was with 2005. It took me 3-4 months of "playing" with 2011 until I felt as comfortable with it as I did with 2005.

In the end, it was a very good thing for me because I probably learned 10x more about AutoCad in those 3-4 months than the previous 10 years, but the transition was not painless. Knowing what I know now, switching versions is no big deal, but if you put yourself in the shoes of someone that didn't even know what PICKFIRST did, I think it brings a different perspective to upgrading.

Point taken. I'm one that believes in just diving right in but the original poster will be fine, especially if he signed up on CADTutor.