What Happened to the 'Out of Context' Thread?

BlackBox

Looked for it in my subscribed threads... Searched for it in the Chat forum... I even tried Googling it... And still cannot seem to find it.

... What gives? :unsure:

I think it may have been put out of its misery.

Deleting an active, multi-page thread that even had moderator participation for several months... Again, I ask, what gives? :unsure:

What forum guidelines did the thread violate?

The thread's instructions were explicit, that when quoting another member, changes to the quote (i.e., substitution, or addition of words) was not to be permitted. The entire point was to quote actual member statements, as posted by the author, in their own words. This is both inherently funny, more often than not, and a direct, unchanged, and unsolicited quote.

Since when did quoting another member violate forum guidelines?

I believe the initial wound was self-inflicted.

What exactly is that supposed to mean, Mark?

O.I.E. - Operator Induced Error

Do you like that one better?

I can only guess at what may have led to the demise of that thread. I suppose one or two of the participants got a little carried away and one of the more vigilant moderators, who shall go unnamed, called a general meeting of the mods and said it was time to kill the thread. But that's only a guess. I'm not a mod and therefore I can't tell you exactly why the plug was pulled.

If you're upset at someone so be it but don't take it out on me. I'm just a bystander.

O.I.E. - Operator Induced Error

Do you like that one better?

Right over my head... Meaning something that I did?

I'm simply trying to understand what happened, and why.

This is worse than reasonable, within guidelines censorship. We're talking about deleting a thread... from a Chat forum. Not cleaning up some posts, not locking the thread to discontinue use, actually deleting the thread from the forum altogether (as far as I can tell).

Especially given that I started the thread, you'd think (or at least I do), that if something was so wrong with it, than when deleting it the mod would contact me to briefly explain so I don't do it again.

If you're upset at someone so be it but don't take it out on me. I'm just a bystander.

I am in no way upset with you, Mark.

If I've in any way made you feel that this is being taken out on you, then I sincerely apologize to you.

I didn't see the original thread to which this refers.

But I would assume the owners/moderators can do whatever they want on this site.

If someone doesn't like the way the site is administered they can go elsewhere for their information related to CAD.

If too many (either way - those offended by a post or those offended by removal of a post) do that - the site would lose advertising.

I assume the benevolent moderators are doing what they think is best for the community.

I have no idea what happened or why. In truth, I wasn't even aware the thread had been axed.

BTW...we're cool.

Peace out.

Check this thread for an explanation of what happened: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?68854-Out-Of-Context-Game

Thanks for the link, Cad64... That did not come up in my search earlier. I am still not understanding... Why the decision to delete the thread instead or cleaning it up, warning, or even locking it?

I am certainly not trying to be argumentative here, Cad64, but the rules in the OP were explicit, and entirely within the forum guidelines then, and now.

If there was something so wrong with that thread, and not just individual posts, then this forum missed a great opportunity to educate it's members, and grow this community by informing the thread (and anyone who stumbles upon it) by perhaps replacing all posts with one that explains the reasoning and locking the thread as has been done many, many times before (remember b@l@j!, anyone!?).

I enjoy CADTutor very much, and wish David all of the success that he deserves (and more), for providing us such a great forum (no pun intended) for us to gather. The idea that the thread (one that I started) grew to be so undesirable that deletion was prefered to educating it's members is quite saddening.

Being perfectly blunt, it is just as dumb as the argument over if we should use : lmao : for the emoticon or not, when : rofl : is a perfectly acceptable alternative ($tr!x is the man :thumbsup:). The same tact, and professionalism could have been demonstrated here, and purposefully wasn't as I understand it.

This is very disappointing.

We still have the thread locked away in the vault, but I don't have the time or desire to go digging through all 70 pages. I really didn't pay too much attention to that thread until we received a complaint about it, but I do seem to remember several moderator posts in that thread about keeping it clean though, and I do remember many posts being deleted from that thread because of the overt sexual innuendo's. The removal of the thread is not a reflection on you RenderMan, it was just decided that it had gone on long enough. We had asked several times for everyone to keep it clean, but it just wasn't happening.

The removal of the thread is not a reflection on you RenderMan, it was just decided that it had gone on long enough.

That is kind of you to say, and I appreciate your clarifying what happened.

Obviously, I've only now realized that the thread was gone (spent some time away from the forums, working two jobs, etc.), it's not like I was helping to keep things above reproach. I guess I expected more of us (I'm included too) as a community.

I've made several mistakes in the past. Thankfully, I've always had professionals such as yourself ($tr!x, sluu, and others; too many to list here) to point me in the right direction.

Cheers, Cad64! :beer:

• 8 months later...