Boo VBA, Hooray .NET!

BlackBox

As very little of these coding languages overlap in any form other than basic Object Oriented concepts, I'd like to request that VBA be broken out into it's own forum, separate from that of a potential .NET forum.

For that matter, it seems logical to me (perhaps others disagree?), to reorganize the development forums based on the API for which they interact.

It makes sense to keep AutoLISP & Visual LISP together as they are both based on the same API (mostly), and are drawing level languages.

VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) has some API overlap with that of Visual LISP given the ActiveX API functionality that is exposed, but VBA is still very much different from that of Visual LISP syntactically, and also in that it (VBA) offers form work far beyond that of DCL for LISP.

The .NET API with it's managed code, deserves a place where it's C#, F#, and VB, etc. brethren alike may Cast, Derive, and Inherit until, and their hearts are content.

ObjectARX (C++ for AutoCAD), also should be split out, as it is very different from that of the .NET API even, with it's version dependencies, Hard and Soft Pointers, ability to work in mixed-mode (managed/unmanaged) code that can use the managed or native C++ ObjectARX API.

RenderMan, I hope that you will not fell that I’ve highjacked your thread.

Another new section that I believe will be useful on development sub-Forum is a generic one, dedicated to issues that cannot be solved graphically (that it, in AutoCAD editor), but don’t necessary fit into one of the programming areas. I mean, requests for math formulas, good programming practices and other miscellaneous matters.

Thank you for your attention.

Thank you!

No worries; I encourage others to add their thoughts as well.

The more I think of it, perhaps it would also be prudent to have an area for those who choose to delve into AutoCAD's newest programming language, and environment... DesignScript. :geek:

Renderman,

You make some good points there. I have had to dive head first into VB.NET and it's very different from VBA. About the same as VBA is different from QBASIC, which I abandoned over a decade ago. And I still remember in 1984 reading my first book on how to program in BASIC on an Apple IIe. Inovation is part of the process.

VB.NET is indeed it's own animal these days. It's only vaguely similar to VBA and many things in VBA will not work in VB.NET. The talk is that AutoDesk and Microsoft and all others are going to eventually abandon VBA in favor of .NET...however, there is also talk of .NET's replacement is already in Beta testing. The IT manager at this client's HQ is telling me they will soon rid this place of anything Microsoft and there will be no such thing as a file system. Everything will be run on a platform neutral basis. He's really out there in his thinking but he has the moxy to back it up.

But to your suggestion, I'm all for a split with VBA and VB.NET. There is just too much evidence that VBA is going to become like QBasic as only a fond memory.

And now I will spend the weekend learning C#. I don't remember much from my C++ classes. I was too interested in the short skirted girls in the classroom but I do recall things like stdio and printf and the attempts we made at the QuickSort routine using recursion on 486 based computers with only 8MB of RAM. My routines ate the stack for breakfast and overloaded the systems everytime.

The AutoCAD Customization sub forum breakdown received a lot of attention in this thread:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?49127-Suggested-changes-to-this-forum

I think one of the concerns - at that time - was to ensure that each of the sub-sub forums had at least a modest amount of traffic, and not create essentially unused categories.

RenderMan, I hope that you will not fell that I’ve highjacked your thread.

Another new section that I believe will be useful on development sub-Forum is a generic one, dedicated to issues that cannot be solved graphically (that it, in AutoCAD editor), but don’t necessary fit into one of the programming areas. I mean, requests for math formulas, good programming practices and other miscellaneous matters.

Thank you for your attention.

I had made a similar suggestion (I think the thread has just fallen out the backside into the FeedBack archive) about a less specific forum. I think that would receive traffic, perhaps as the location of a ‘Problem Domain’, to which links can be made in the more language specific areas.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?59851-New-Category&