PDA

View Full Version : PDF Logo, how do i...

CADken
12th Jun 2006, 08:37 pm
I have a *.pdf file that is our company logo and such, i was wondering how i can make it so that it's a logo i can use in autoCAD... basically i want to convert it into something more useable.

I want to set-up a uniform title block for every drawing, the previous CAD person just copy and pasted the *.pdf file right into the drawing... the only downside to this is you can only modify the size of the image, other than that is is a pain to get text over and it looks horrible.

Our logo contains a fancy text with little designs in it... i tried to draw out everything, but there has to be an easier way.

Thanks.

tzframpton
12th Jun 2006, 08:42 pm
there's another way, but not the best way.

best thing to do is, if you can't import the PDF into AutoCAD, make a screenshot of the logo, save it as JPG or BMP, import it in, trace over it in AutoCAD, and then you have it nice and neat from here on out.

ALWAYS re-draw a logo for 100% sure quality.

f700es
13th Jun 2006, 03:17 am
You can always open in in Adobe Illustrator and save it to a dwg file or a wmf file. You can download a 30 day demo of Illustrator from Adobe.com if you need to.

umop-3p!sdn
13th Jun 2006, 04:59 am
Yes, Illustrator is awesome for that type of thing. If your logo is already vectors within the PDF, Illustrator will easily convert then to DWG.
However if your logo is not vector art that is embedded in the PDF ... Illustrator won't be of any more help than the screenshot method, other than the fact that tracing will be lots easier in Illustrator should you go the tracing route ...

The trial version of Illustrator works great too ...

fuccaro
13th Jun 2006, 07:12 am
If it is a bitmap image you can vectorise it with something like Wintopo or Corel trace. After that "rafine" the trace with hand and save it in vector format.
I mentioned Wintopo because it has a free version, also other raster-vector converters are free on the internet.

CADken
13th Jun 2006, 01:10 pm
thanks for all your assistance guys, it's been a great help... i was trying to avoid redrawing it, but it's not too difficult, plus i can alter it a bit to make it more useable in a drawing :) thanks again!

tzframpton
13th Jun 2006, 02:36 pm
redrawing is always the best way - no matta what.

and umop, what the HECK are you thinking saying that Illustrator is easier at tracing than AutoCAD?? lol, i'd have to dissagree..... unless someone is a wiz at it. Illustrator is tricky unless you know how to use it 8)

f700es
13th Jun 2006, 03:49 pm
redrawing is always the best way - no matta what.

and umop, what the HECK are you thinking saying that Illustrator is easier at tracing than AutoCAD?? lol, i'd have to dissagree..... unless someone is a wiz at it. Illustrator is tricky unless you know how to use it 8)

I don't know. If it is a good, vector PDF and not too complex I can get good results from Illustrator.

tzframpton
13th Jun 2006, 04:07 pm
well so can i, i love Illustrator. the bezier tool is awesome, but i still think cad has easier tools for logo tracing... i do it all the time when i have to make prints for other companies lol.

umop-3p!sdn
2nd Mar 2007, 02:20 am
You can't just draw with a "pencil" in CAD ... and finetuning curves is troubling if you are just going from a visual standpoint. I wish CAD had a "sketch" tool that was like the pencil, then you could start with a doddled line, and upon seeing the math that CAD describes it as, you could finetune it from there Sometimes you just want to stretch that object around until it looks right, and in CAD, you can't just grab it and stretch it until it is "good enough", you have to address is as a tangible piece of geometry.
Conversely, Illustrator lacks the numeric precision CAD has ... that always bugs when in Illustrator I know the math of the curves, you can do very little other than length and size. The chopping options in CAD are also too precise for tracing needs. It IS after all, a precision tool, not an artistic tool.

I agree though, as this IS a CAD forum, the learning curve for someone who thinks in CAD to learn Illustrator might not be worth the hassle.

For people who may stumble accross this for troubleshooting vector import options in CAD ... it is of note that most tools that can create content to import into CAD have their glitches, do a search for vector import or the like, most solutions have been posted. A good piece of advice for Illustrator currently, is to save as R12 DXF ... the SPLINE math that CAD read from Illustrator is a bit different, and you will often crash it with a complex design that it tries to make into a million little curves when you save it as a 2004DWG.
The bezier tools in Illustrator ARE awesome, I just wish they imported better.

Styk is right though, if you CAN pull it off in CAD easily enough, just suck up the hour of work and do it there, that will be the ONLY 100% guaranteed way to be done with it without a possible migrain.

juve
6th Mar 2007, 12:54 am
If you send it to me I might be able to convert to DXF

Mr T
6th Mar 2007, 01:42 am
CorelDRAW will open it and save as DWG, as long as the original is 'unlocked'.

Post it up as JUVE says and we will look at it / check it / convert it.

Nick

CADken
7th Mar 2007, 06:47 pm
You can't just draw with a "pencil" in CAD ... and finetuning curves is troubling if you are just going from a visual standpoint. I wish CAD had a "sketch" tool that was like the pencil, then you could start with a doddled line, and upon seeing the math that CAD describes it as, you could finetune it from there Sometimes you just want to stretch that object around until it looks right, and in CAD, you can't just grab it and stretch it until it is "good enough", you have to address is as a tangible piece of geometry.
Conversely, Illustrator lacks the numeric precision CAD has ... that always bugs when in Illustrator I know the math of the curves, you can do very little other than length and size. The chopping options in CAD are also too precise for tracing needs. It IS after all, a precision tool, not an artistic tool.

I agree though, as this IS a CAD forum, the learning curve for someone who thinks in CAD to learn Illustrator might not be worth the hassle.

For people who may stumble accross this for troubleshooting vector import options in CAD ... it is of note that most tools that can create content to import into CAD have their glitches, do a search for vector import or the like, most solutions have been posted. A good piece of advice for Illustrator currently, is to save as R12 DXF ... the SPLINE math that CAD read from Illustrator is a bit different, and you will often crash it with a complex design that it tries to make into a million little curves when you save it as a 2004DWG.
The bezier tools in Illustrator ARE awesome, I just wish they imported better.

Styk is right though, if you CAN pull it off in CAD easily enough, just suck up the hour of work and do it there, that will be the ONLY 100% guaranteed way to be done with it without a possible migrain.

If you send it to me I might be able to convert to DXF

CorelDRAW will open it and save as DWG, as long as the original is 'unlocked'.

Post it up as JUVE says and we will look at it / check it / convert it.

Nick

thanks everyone, but this thread was created back in june (the problem with digging up old threads sometimes :)), since then i've managed to figure it our for myself and have re-created it into AutoCAD

thanks for the help tho. next time around i knwo how to contact :thumbsup: