Axis lock help

WalterG

Hey guys, new member and first post. First a little background...

I'm a very experienced Microstation user, who recently moved to a new position and am now using AutoCAD LT 2009. I am getting familiar with differences in the two softwares, but don't use AutoCAD in the same capacity as I did Microstation. So, when the search function fails me here, I will ask the pros!

Here is my question: In Microstation, you could select an element, or group of elements, grab them by a snap point and move them around. While moving them, you could hit the Enter key and it would lock the axis in the direction you were moving, then snap to a point on another element that you wanted to line up with...it was very quick and handy. I'm trying to figure out a way to do this with AutoCAD. I can grab elements (not even sure what they are called exactly in AutoCAD) and move them, but can't lock the axis. I can get it to move in "ortho", but if you get too far away from that plane it just moves away from the axis. Can anyone help? Do I need to describe it in further detail?

Thanks in advance!

"Elements" could be groups of objects or possibly blocks. Depends on who created the drawing.

You are familiar with AutoCAD OSnaps are you not?

Yes, Orthomode locks one in a strictly up/down or side-to-side orientation but that works no matter how far away you get from your starting point.

Have you looked at Polar Tracking or Object Snap Tracking? They are two features that you may find handy.

And nevermind, I just figured it out! Thanks anyway! :)

For the benefit of other Microstation users who may end up in the same predicament as yourself would you mind sharing the secret of your solution?

Thanks for the reply ReMark. I'm still getting familiar with the terminology of AutoCAD, but I believe I'm becoming familiar with OSnaps and Polar Tracking. AutoCAD is just a bit different in the fact that there is no tentative snap feature, so it has taken me a bit to get used to it.

Thanks again for the tips, much appreciated!

For the benefit of other Microstation users who may end up in the same predicament as yourself would you mind sharing the secret of your solution?

As soon as I can describe it better so that it can be understood easily I will. I can just see what's happening on the screen right now and make it work for myself. I still have a lot to learn about what is actually going on. Basically, I have all my snaps on, and ortho mode on. I grabbed the object by the midpoint and I moved it about the screen, moved the pointer to the point I wanted to line up with and the screen had two grid marks on it that helped me line it up. This is the best way I can describe it with my limited AutoCAD vocabulary right now...

The screen had two grid marks? Then you are possibly using the GRID and SNAP features?

ACAD vocab classes are down the hall, third door on the left. Don't bother knocking just walk right in. Mr. Wordsmith is expecting you.:lol:

Welcome to the CADTutor forum. Enjoy your stay. Please come again. :)

The screen had two grid marks? Then you are possibly using the GRID and SNAP features?

ACAD vocab classes are down the hall, third door on the left. Don't bother knocking just walk right in. Mr. Wordsmith is expecting you.:lol:

Welcome to the CADTutor forum. Enjoy your stay. Please come again. :)

Two grid style marks that followed the cursor as I moved it, and when I hovered over different objects at different spots it displays different snap options. Does that make more sense?

Thank you, I will check out that class! lol

Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure you will see me again :)

• 10 months later...

so what is the solution to move an object in 2 planes only/lock an axis??????? eg move in any direction x or y but the object will not move in any way on the z-axis?

so what is the solution to move an object in 2 planes only/lock an axis??????? eg move in any direction x or y but the object will not move in any way on the z-axis?

I use point filters. Start the move command, pick the objects, pick a point, type .xy enter, pick the location point, when asked for Z point just pick anywhere on the screen.

Or start move command, pick the objects, pick a point, type .z, snap to the object with the correct Z elevation, pick the location point.

I use point filters. Start the move command, pick the objects, pick a point, type .xy enter, pick the location point, when asked for Z point just pick anywhere on the screen.

Or start move command, pick the objects, pick a point, type .z, snap to the object with the correct Z elevation, pick the location point.

thanks, i'll have a play with those.

Two grid style marks that followed the cursor as I moved it, and when I hovered over different objects at different spots it displays different snap options. Does that make more sense?

Thank you, I will check out that class! lol

Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure you will see me again :)

That is object snap tracking, and a very good generic explanation, I must say. The "grid mark" you are referencing, a tiny cross mark, is marking the point you can snap to and be in alignment with the point(s) you aquired. I can't remember where all of this stuff is at the moment so look up polar tracking and object snap tracking with the F1 key, and look up tracking vectors too. You can get a vector line to appear under your cursor that will help you keep in alignment with your snap or alignment points. The snap tracking, especially polar, does not function particularly well with Ortho mode on.

While using polar tracking your alignment marker and vector lines will also reference certain relative angle increments as you move the cursor around. the polar tracking angles can be modified if every 45 deg is not to your liking in the future.

You will notice as you move into or away from an alignment position, that your vector lines and marker will sort of snap to the aligned point, thus indicating where you should click to insert.