Is AutoCAD dead?

Andrew1979

Hi all,

I have just started a course in using Revit which seems like a pretty good program. Someone said to me that they think AutoCAD will be killed off in the future. What's everyone elses thoughts? I hope it stays around as it is good for all sorts of things. I use it for printing out wood carving designs and fashion pattens. Very good all round.

Nah, it's not dead and I personally don't think it will die in any forseable future - for the reason you yourself said, it's a very all-round program.

This topic has been discussed before though, and from experience I'd say you will hear arguments for both sides :)

For info:

Autocad is one of the first drawing program and is part of the group which is one Autodesk groups drawing the largest.

Autocad design software is the most used in the world.

Yes there is a new software for drawing and happily! but it still has beua days ahead ...

Nope, I don't see it happening anytime soon or ever. Now will we see vanilla AutoCAD being replaced by Revit more? Sure this will happen but there are other uses for AutoCAD other than architectural uses. I recently worked for 2 casework companies that used AutoCAD for product development and for layouts and take-offs. Sure most would use something like Inventor for product development but for plam cabinets that is overkill.

What is this "AutoCAD" you speak of?
LOL!!!!

Hi all,

I have just started a course in using Revit which seems like a pretty good program. Someone said to me that they think AutoCAD will be killed off in the future. What's everyone elses thoughts? I hope it stays around as it is good for all sorts of things. I use it for printing out wood carving designs and fashion pattens. Very good all round.

This is false. AutoCAD is still a very relevant program and will still be used for quite some time. A better way to say put it is that AutoCAD will be killed off for certain trade-specific design needs. Revit will take over the AEC market, no doubt. Just as Inventor has taken over the machinery market, etc. AutoCAD is an extension of the drawing board... and while the parametric CAD world is a beautiful one, programs like Revit are geared for a very specific market. AutoCAD can be used in all facets of the industry.

LOL!!!!

This is false. AutoCAD is still a very relevant program and will still be used for quite some time. A better way to say put it is that AutoCAD will be killed off for certain trade-specific design needs. Revit will take over the AEC market, no doubt. Just as Inventor has taken over the machinery market, etc. AutoCAD is an extension of the drawing board... and while the parametric CAD world is a beautiful one, programs like Revit are geared for a very specific market. AutoCAD can be used in all facets of the industry.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. It is so versatile I would hope it has a bright future ahead.

JDM just wants to drive a stake through its heart because it is an ancient program in his opinion that has outlived its usefulness or something to that affect.:lol:

• 3 months later...

considering the company i work for can build a 20 million dollar industrial plant with a hand ful of people using vanilla autocad in 6 months, i would have to say autocad will be around for alot longer than some would like to admit.